Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Can this be sustained? When should I move up?

I've been a breakeven tournament player for a while, but I just started playing cash games again at $2NL. I'm surprised at how easy it is to win, but I'm wondering if I'm just running good. I've got about 3500 hands and I'm winning 14BB/100 hands. I know that's probably not enough hands to say anything, but each session seems so easy.

I'll admit I've had good swings before, but I was playing weak-tight and most of my success was just a good run of cards. I bled it off over the next few months. Then I got more aggressive, but was weak after the flop. I lost a lot that way and gave up on cash games. What I see now is a lot of opponents that play like I used to play and I just run over them. So most of my winnings come from just taking down pots that I have no right to. It seems like a winning formula. The only losing sessions I've had over the past month are when I get tired and just do something absolutely stupid, i.e., right read, wrong play.

I've got about 4k in my bankroll and I'd like to progress quickly. Am I being overly optimistic? When does the competition get tougher? At what level should I expect some resistance to this style of play and what adjustments will I need to make?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Can this be sustained? When should I move up?

3500 hands is about one or two days of sessions for most players.

When your running good, poker is the easiest game in the word. I'll wait for your following posts... My God no one folds... The river sucks... Do they hit every draw...

Some people on here are a bit crazy with there X hands means nothing statments, but 3500 is really really nothing.

If you feel confident and want to move up, there is nothing wrong with that, just be aware that you are currently on a heater. You will have a better idea of what cash game play is like after 50k-100k hands.

Just my opinion.

edit: typo
Old 07-20-2007, 03:52 PM

4k in your bankroll means you should continue to play 1/2NL but be aware you could have a significant downswing at any point in time ignoring how well or badly you play. If you lose some (maybe 4-5 buyins), you should probably move down and figure out what you are doing wrong/right.

Additionally, you probably shouldn't move up or take too many shots until you hit around 8k in bankroll, and you should know the jump to 400NL is very significant (even with my very limited experience, it is very obvious)
Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Move up if your bankroll can handle it. Couple of good stickies about this issue you should check them out.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM

I understand what you're saying. I know short-term success doesn't mean anything. It just feels different now. Something clicked over the past few months.

I know that I've had times in the past where I felt like I understood the game pretty well. Then I had a turn of bad luck and I realized something I was missing. Now, I'm seeing the game from a different place. I'm not intimidated by anyone. I'm not afraid to risk anything if I think I have the right play. I'm reading better and using multi-level thinking. I'm manipulating people. I just wasn't there 6 months ago.

Also bear in mind that those 3500 hands are just in cash games over the past few weeks. I've also played about 35k tournament hands in the last two months and I'm having more success in those, cashing a little under 20% of the time and going pretty deep.

I'll keep playing where I'm at. I'm only 2-tabling now, so maybe I'll push that a little to get more hands. Unfortunately, I can't just sit and play 8 hours a day. I play for 3-4 hours every night and occasionally during the day.

Thanks for the response.