Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Default QJs and str8 draw

Both villains are new to the table; but appeared to be maniacs. Calling and Raising with weak draws. After a row of bad beats and not completed strong draws i was short-stacked and trying to think clear. I guess I should have bet on the flop.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5 (All-In)</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 14.20 BB
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: QJs and str8 draw

I dont understand why you:

1) didnt raise preflop
2) didnt check raise the flop
3) bet the turn
4) called the river

well, i guess #4 isnt so horrible considering you were all in - though if you were calling the turn you might as well just 3 bet all in.

seriously though you played every street here pretty much backwards.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM

2) Why would you bet out on the flop ??
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Super easy raise on the flop if they are maniacs. How good a hand do you need to punish crazy players? Nut flush?

As played I would just check the turn. If he is a maniac he is betting again cuz you guys checked.

The only thing about river is: DONT BE SHORTSTACKED AT A TABLE WITH MANIACS!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Why would you bet out on the flop ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed my post. didnt read the op carefully enough...thought there was no PFR.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand why you:

1) didnt raise preflop
2) didnt check raise the flop
3) bet the turn
4) called the river

well, i guess #4 isnt so horrible considering you were all in - though if you were calling the turn you might as well just 3 bet all in.

seriously though you played every street here pretty much backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mind the preflop call. QJs plays ok multiway, but it doesnt have that much high card strength if you are trying to isolate. If there were already a number of limpers, I would be happy to raise preflop in late position.

I would have preferred to bet the flop, as opposed to check raise. If you are behind to AA or KK then you will be 3-bet, making it more expensive to call for your draws. If you have the best hand, hands like AK will still call a flop bet.

I agree with not betting the turn and that you should try not to play short-stacked.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Why would you start a hand with 2.50 back? I've never been a strong advocate for the 12BB rule but am pretty sure 5 BB isn't enough.

These are the hands you should be raising from LP into unraised pots to buy the button and make the rest of the hand play easier.

You have tp and draw to the nuts and great relative position to c/r.

The worst card in the deck hits the turn, actually make your hand worse and now you grow a sack and lead? Bad.

I can only assume you realized how horrible it was that you only had 1 BB left and decided to throw it away on this river. Nothing else explains this bet.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM

I think Kit nailed this one. I'd definitely raise this pre-flop; QJs just has too big of an edge here not to raise here. I just looked through SSHE again and it advises to raise in late position with QJs, even in tight games.

You probably have the best hand right now on the flop, and if you don't, you got both a backdoor flush redraw and an open-ended straight redraw. Either bet the flop or check-raise it after the button bets for value. Don't play timidly here.

The turn's a bit harsh, but check it. Betting is pretty bad.

Seriously, though, raising this hand pre-flop makes it a lot easier to play.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanx for that, really appreciate that. I played it really bad.
I guess these are the effects of being on tilt.