Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Default ever lost in poker?

hey guys, i have a confession.

there is one big hole in my game. it's not any typical mistake in the gameplay. in fact, i'm pretty confident and happy with the way i play almost always. the problem i'm talking about is purely external - i hate losing.

you're thinking "well duh, everyone hates losing". no. I hate losing.. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate losing.. I guarentee I hate losing more than anyone you know. I will challenge anyone to a contest/prop bet to see who hates losing more if you find any way to measure it (i'm serious, i can't think of any way to measure this but if anyone has any ideas let me know).

neways that's not the point. the point is losing bothers me so much that my entire life gets [censored] up because of it. it changes my mood drastically. i don't eat or sleep as well. i am basically depressed. it doesn't even matter if i won a lot and then lost only a small fraction of my winnings. nothing else in my life seems to matter at the time.. i still hate it so much.. i [censored] hate it. i think it's because i've always been a perfectionist and as we all know poker results aren't perfect even if you play perfectly.

surprisingly, i don't get on tilt during the game (lol?).. i only go on major life tilt, which is by far worse - trust me on this one.
i was hoping that with time i will stop losing as frequently (obv not happening) or at least get used to it (obv what all top players do).. but i can't seem to get used to it!

so.. what do i do - quit poker? try harder to get used to it? do u guys ever feel anything like this when u lose? how do u cope with it? discuss.

(btw when winning i feel so good i'm like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY6DQ...d&search=)
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: ever lost in poker?

I wanted to kill myself after I lost $20 yesterday.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 AM

I think you havent been playing for a long enough time yet to get used to winning/losing in poker. I was exactly the same when I first started playing but then you see so many bad beats and losing streaks that it just becomes normal.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you havent been playing for a long enough time yet to get used to winning/losing in poker. I was exactly the same when I first started playing but then you see so many bad beats and losing streaks that it just becomes normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not it. i wish it was. i've been playing for a while and i think at some point in the past i was briefly ok with the swings.. but not anymore. i really don't know what to do.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 AM

Learn to love variance or just learn chess.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:36 AM

Are you an overall winning player? You're maybe playing too high for your BR and a losing session means a lot more than if you were playing lower stakes.

Personally I HATE losing at anything, least of all poker. It took me a while to understand that even playing optimally doesn't win all the time, and that variance can suck big time.

That said I'm annoyed about last night, took at shot at 100NL for the first time and lost 1.5 buyins. I misplayed a hand, and got stacked, should've lost a lot less.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. I guarentee I hate losing more than anyone you know. I will challenge anyone to a contest/prop bet to see who hates losing more if you find any way to measure it (i'm serious, i can't think of any way to measure this but if anyone has any ideas let me know).

[/ QUOTE ]this is hilarious.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you an overall winning player? You're maybe playing too high for your BR and a losing session means a lot more than if you were playing lower stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya im a winning player i guess and i got 70 buyins of the lvl im at right now.. usually i dont keep so many but i've been trying to find a way to stop hating losing as much by being "rich" for my lvl.. its not really helping.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guarentee I hate losing more than anyone you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who hates losing so much that he refused to ever play even one hand since it was possible he could lose. Not only have you played, and lost, but you are still willing to play, so you are still willing to put yourself in the position to possibly lose. I conclude that he hates losing more than you.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM

I will bet you I hate losing more than you but if you win I will hate you so much that I will kill you so it's lose/lose for you and win/lose/win for me.

Also, I like chicken.
Closed Thread