Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Default PStars $3.00 Rebuys AK middle of tournament.

Hello,

I'm sorry to not be more specific but the details that are necessary are here. Am I being results oriented or is this poor preflop play?

There are 1200 players left. Average stack is ~15,000. I have 17,000. BB has 15,000. Blinds are 200/400 with a 25 ante.

BB has raised 7 of the last 8 hands. He has increased his stack from 9,000 to 15,000 with his aggression. He has C-bet every time he is called and no one has seen a turn with him.

I am playing tight. BB has only been here for a few orbits, and one of the first hands we played he was in the SB with $7,000 and I opened TT for $800 and he shoved and I folded.

I am in MP and I am dealt AK. I open limp squarely with the hope that the BB raises and I can move all-in. No one else calls and the BB checks his option. I was hoping he would see my limp as being scared he'd raise since I had raised and folded to him before.

Postflop I don't think is that important but the board was KKJ75 and he had K5 and obviously the money went in MHING.

I think that I should have opened preflop for a standard raise and am most concerned with opinions on that.

Specifically if you guys think that limp/rr AK is a good idea against someone who is speeding along?

If I miss the L/RR and don't flop anything I wouldn't go crazy so it's not like if it doesn't work I'll donk it off on a T62 board.

So if the only reason not to L/RR is you can get outplayed postflop if you miss, I'm fine with L/RR to try to win a big pot. Is this the right attitude??

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: PStars $3.00 Rebuys AK middle of tournament.

The problem with limp reraising is that if the guy who is speeding along knows what he's doing your limp will look highly suspicious. From your description he looks like he has an idea about what he's doing so all your limp does (especially if you haven't been limping a lot) is wave flags saying "Hey I have a big hand."

You also set yourself up (with him in the big blind) for a king or ace high flop with him having some weird bb two pair. Or a bunch of people limp behind you and then would you really feel comfortable on a KJ9 board or KQQ board.

Just raise to take the blinds and hope that he pops your right back like when you held 1010.