Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Default C-Betting and Second barreling

Im just starting out HU games and all these complex postflop c-betting and second barreling has been spinning in my mind all day.

Lets pretend I am playing HU cashgame with loose passive Villain. She keeps calling my preflop raises with wide range of hands OOP. He also calls my c-bets very often.

Let's say Im SB with AK, I bet, she calls.
I miss the flop.
She checks, I c-bet, she calls.
How often are you planning to second barrel the turn?
And more importantly, on what kind of board do you prefer to 2-barrel? How about with a weak made hand, like small pocket pair?

What about if the villain seems somewhat solid, thinking player, Hero c-bets alot, and she seems to adjust and call loosely...
Hero is SB with QJo and raises, villain calls
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero c-bets, villain calls.
Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero...bets 1/2-2/3 pot?
Obviously the ace is great turn card for second barreling, so I suppose I second barrel here very often.
But what if the turn comes out blank and I still got no hand. There is a good chance villain called me loosely because the flop was full of low cards and he obviously though I didnt really hit anything.
Wouldnt that make second barreling a nice option?

So I suppose I should c-bet ragged flops and flops with A or K most oftenly, but second barrel less on turn because villain is very likely to actually have something, often something he is planning to check-raise on turn.
But when flop comes coordinated and with low cards, I should c-bet less. But if I do c-bet, I should second barrel more as villain is more likely to hold a weak draw, that he is planning to fold on turn, If I bet. Or she might be calling loose, just because there was no high cards on the flop?

This is just something I made up in my mind, does it make any sense?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: C-Betting and Second barreling

excellent post. I don't really have anything to add right now, but this thread has great potentital!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 PM

This is a situation that happens all the time heads-up. The way I handle it is to c-bet on flop and bet turn scare card if it comes. If not, shut-down and try to get the river cheap. Consider calling a river bet especially early (if its cheap) to see what they have. If you know they are calling with 9,10 and 7,2,4 flop. You have some info to work with on whether you should keeep betting on the turn or not. If you are getting called with 2nd or 3rd pairs on the flop, adjust your game. You can't push a calling station off of medium hands. Only value bet and try to pick-up small unraised pots to keep your head above water when the cards are dry. To me, this is the most important aspect of heads-up, to stay extremely patient against a LAG when the cards are dry. Your reads are right, they are weak but usually not weak enough to fold. Take advantage of that when you get a hand.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM

limit, NL, pot limit, .02 limit...?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
limit, NL, pot limit, .02 limit...?

[/ QUOTE ]
NL.