Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM

Default 15/30 live

I'm somewhat new to this forum. I've known of its existence for awhile, but have been reluctant to post. I'm a predominantly live player trying to get into internet poker, through the advice of my friends, so this is one of my first posts. Be gentle.

The game has been playing fairly wild, with some very bad players throwing money around. Only myself and another player are playing tight. The action went like this:

Folded to me. I raise the cutoff, and I raise w/ Ac8s.
SB cold calls (loose passive bad player), BB calls (the only other TAG at the table)

Flop: 9s-Th-Js

Check, check, I bet, SB folds, BB TAG raises, I call.

Turn: 9s-Th-Js [Ah]

BB bets, I call.

River: 9s-Th-Js-Ah [Ac]

BB bets, I call.

BB shows AQ.

In retrospect I feel like I played this hand absolutely horribly, and somehow came out losing the minimum.

If I could redo my line, I'd probably raise the turn freeshowdown/ find out where I am, and decide from there, depending on whether I get 3bet and what comes on the river.

The line I took sucks, but is the revised one ok?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: 15/30 live

you probably lost the minimum as it was. the way it played out you likely would have been check raised on the river.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 AM

Welcome to the forum!

I raise the river probably. Fold to 3 bets given the description of your opponent. Calling is fine too if you know the guy well. Rest of the hand is fine.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't raise this river.
What hand is calling us that we beat? If he C/R'ed his 2 pair on flop or QJ/KJ he won't call our River raise based on OP description. We can't beat an Ace, only tie... and I don't see our raise making him fold if he has a hand like A8.

I think the hand was played fine... both by Hero and Villian (actually people may disagree, but I 3-bet preflop if I'm villian).
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM

nice avatar
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM

I raise the river. TAGs should be value betting all Js and Ts here. Raising the turn is bad because getting 3-bet is terrible and a good chunk of villain's range with the number of 2 pairs that are now in villain's hand. I don't know whether I could fold to a 3-bet in a blind steal spot because I'm biased by the result.

Villain's non 3-bet preflop 3 ways is terrible.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I usually invite him to come on and feel the Illinoise and three bet the flop.

As played raise the river.

lol @ what's he calling you with.

Pocket threes for starters.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM

hand is played perfect imo. raising the river is an option, but depends a lot of the villian. a hand like KJ or QJ is a very big part of the villian range, and will pay off most of the time. KT K9s QT Q9 Asxs Tsxs 98, T8, J8, are all still in his range and may or may not pay off depending on the player. even JT T9, or J9 (though many players become so depressed once counterfeited they just sigh and check, it seems like only a certain type of player is able to continue to bet in rhythm).

So i guess what i am trying to say is that if you are raised you won't only be called by better hands, and that you won't always be called, and most importantly you will rarely be reraised.

nevertheless, i still don't think its an autoraise on the river, buy you can safely raise for *most* villians.

as another poster has suggested raising the turn is kind of disastrous since you still must call a reraise.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM

This looks to me like one of those hands where it might play out a bit differently live than it will online. I think online this is a pretty standard raise on the river. In live play, unless you pick up some sort of tell that the bb might be weak, I really like the line.

Given your description of the opponent, it does not seem like he will be putting in this much action if he did not hit the flop fairly hard. When he checkraises the flop I would narrow the range to a straight, straight draw (prob the high end), two pair, or a pair with an ace. He will bet the turn with all of these hands since he can now also represent an ace if he still only has a draw. Once you call the turn you really handcuff him if he has a draw. Since you were the preflop aggressor, he is going to think the ace hit you and that you will not fold. In a live game, I don't think he will fire the last barrel with a counterfeit two pair or a busted draw, so there is very little reason to raise, especially since the raise is only profitable if we can get a losing hand to call.

Keep in mind that we are not only trying to figure out what he has, we need to keep in mind what our actions are telling our opponent.

I think raising the turn is a bit spewy based on the strength of our hand against his range and the bad spot that getting three-bet will put us in.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM

I think it's worth adding that the blind steal nature of the hand and the possibility of it looking like hero missed his draw and is bluff-raising that makes villain likely to pay off with Js and maybe even Ts.