Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM

Default OT: $12 MTT, ITM... SNGW says fold?

This is the final table of a $12 45 man tourney. We are all ITM, top 7 pay.

SNGW says to fold if sb is calling 11% or more, push is sb is calling 10% or less. My thinking was that BB is AI and since he could not even cover the BB, he could have any hand, most of which I beat. Since I am big stack, SB would need a reasonable hand to call and if he folds he advances one spot ITM. However, I suspect he calls wider than 10% (although at the time I did not know I needed to be so tight)

So is that my answer, I should have folded?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t1904)
MP (t22462)
Hero (t32160)
SB (t8070)
BB (t2904)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t6600) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t6600) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t6600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t750
Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: OT: $12 MTT, ITM... SNGW says fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Final Pot: t750

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 AM

I like it because it helps to get the chips to you or keep them distrubuted among more smaller stacks, I don't think SB calls often enough for this to be bad. Idea seems similar to the ITM big stack post I made recently. I'd like to hear more opinions.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the final table of a $12 45 man tourney. We are all ITM, top 7 pay.

SNGW says to fold if sb is calling 11% or more, push is sb is calling 10% or less. My thinking was that BB is AI and since he could not even cover the BB, he could have any hand, most of which I beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't beat a random hand. I don't mind it in a Gigabet kind of way, but it's not +EV.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM

bump
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 AM

this looks bad to me. little if any FE on the sb, the outcome of not being in this hand seems to improve your equity as you dont beat a random hand and you can be pretty sure that sb and bb tangle here making it at least a reasonable chance that you jump up in the prizepool.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the outcome of not being in this hand seems to improve your equity as you dont beat a random hand and you can be pretty sure that sb and bb tangle here making it at least a reasonable chance that you jump up in the prizepool.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the chipleader of an MTT, even if he gets the SB all in and loses he has everyone else at the table covered. Bad players in the SB here will play way too tight because they just want to jump up a spot and let the BB bust. Jumping up in the prizepool is the last thing that should be on his mind.

I'd prefer this if you raise to 9k so that the SB has to put in his whole stack if he wants to come along. This hand looks pretty standard to me though given tendencies of shortstacks to want to outlast eachother.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this looks bad to me. little if any FE on the sb, the outcome of not being in this hand seems to improve your equity as you dont beat a random hand and you can be pretty sure that sb and bb tangle here making it at least a reasonable chance that you jump up in the prizepool.

[/ QUOTE ]

That certainly makes sense and seems like a better line than the one I took. Thanks AMT
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the outcome of not being in this hand seems to improve your equity as you dont beat a random hand and you can be pretty sure that sb and bb tangle here making it at least a reasonable chance that you jump up in the prizepool.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the chipleader of an MTT, even if he gets the SB all in and loses he has everyone else at the table covered. Bad players in the SB here will play way too tight because they just want to jump up a spot and let the BB bust. Jumping up in the prizepool is the last thing that should be on his mind.

I'd prefer this if you raise to 9k so that the SB has to put in his whole stack if he wants to come along. This hand looks pretty standard to me though given tendencies of shortstacks to want to outlast eachother.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt see the micro stack utg which does create more FE....i still think folding is fine and a lot of players would call wider than 10% in this spot, neither options looks that bad now, though, Dr. Jeckyll, if you are sure hed be calling wider than 10% here I'd still just fold.

I also agree that if youre going to play the hand setting the sb all in is better.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer this if you raise to 9k so that the SB has to put in his whole stack if he wants to come along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree, not sure why I rushed and min raised here...