Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Default 5.5 - AK unimproved against maniac

villain is a 60/35 and has taken most chances to bet. generally he hadnt bet on the flop, but he would if possible on the turn or river. i had taken 2 of last 3 pots off of him from CRAI's. he had also bet me out of a pot with 67o on a AT9x board with a player all in. i feel he is betting many draws here...as given, is this line ok?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t920)
Button (t1850)
SB (t2160)
BB (t45)
UTG (t1455)
UTG+1 (t3370)
MP1 (t2575)
Hero (t1720)
MP3 (t680)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t225) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t225) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t270</font>, Hero calls t270.

River: (t765) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600.

Final Pot: t1965
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 5.5 - AK unimproved against maniac

Hi Pants Optional,

I think pre-flop is standard. When you are smooth-called by a player with postion, and then entirely miss a dangerous flop, I like checking the flop, as you did.

When Villain checks behind, however, I think you should make a turn continuation bet when the blank hits. You might have the best hand, you might get Villain off an underpair ... but he has shown a lot of weakness. If you are willing to call a bet anyway, I would prefer making it myself, say t150 or so.

As played, I would fold the turn, since you are facing an overbet of the pot, out of position, with only an ace-high. Even against a maniac, I think this combination is too unfavorable for a call.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM

If you feel that when he checks the flop and bets the turn and river on a draw then I guess you can make a crying call. Betting is horrible making worse hands fold and better hands call. If villain is a maniac he'll call you down with any pair, plus you've been pretty aggressive. He's certainly not betting like he wants you in the hand. My line of thinking is if you thought you were good on the turn I'm willing to call the river as the 8 probably didn't help villain.

Normally I check/fold the turn. If you're using a read, only you know what bet amounts he might use when he's bluffing.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:43 PM

standard race.