Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Small PP what odds do i need to call?

What odds do you feel it is right to call with low pp 22-77 from middle to late in a multy way pot? I had been calling with 4/1 or better is this a winning or loseing play?

How about heads up for set value? If we are both deap and both have about 30 times the call in our stacks. obviously i am going to hit my set on the flop about 10/1 but am not going to get his whole stack every time.should i call or fold?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Small PP what odds do i need to call?

Check out the FAQs and look for the 5/10 rule. With PP's you rarely care about immediate odds and more about implied odds so how much money is potentially left to go into the pot vs what you have to put in to see the flop.

So to answer your question, it can be both a winner or a loser, depending on what the remaining stack sizes are, the potential for that money to get into the pot after the flop and the potential for a re-raise after you act pre-flop. Those considerations apply equally to HU or MW pots.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously i am going to hit my set on the flop about 10/1 but am not going to get his whole stack every time.should i call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of flopping a set with a PP are 7.5/1

I usually call with low PP's if raised to me if my opponents have a full stack, assuming of course it isn't an abnormally large raise and that I will likely see a flop without any reraises behind me.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

obviously i am going to hit my set on the flop about 10/1 but am not going to get his whole stack every time.should i call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of flopping a set with a PP are 7.5/1

I usually call with low PP's if raised to me if my opponents have a full stack, assuming of course it isn't an abnormally large raise and that I will likely see a flop without any reraises behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was taking to account that my set might not be the best hand, ge straights flushes and over pairs with that taken into acount 10/1 is closer
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Prevailing wisdom is that you want 15:1 implied odds (so at a 25NL table, you don't want to call more than ~1.6 preflop while set mining assuming 100BB stacks).

This is because your set is not always good (set over set, flushes, straights), and Villain doesn't always stack off because the board is scary or because they're holding only an average hand (AJ, KQ, etc).
For instance, 77 on a board of 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]