Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Default dou you always reraise with AA?

i play 6max and is see that many players reraise AA from 4BB to 16BB. villain folds.
so he won 5.5BB with his AA. he probably would have won more with just calling.

what are your thoughts on calling/reraising with AA against 1 opponent.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: dou you always reraise with AA?

PF it depends on the opponent and position

If it looks like a possible blind war, re-raise away.

If are out of position, re-raise almost always.

If it is a LAG and you are in position, call, try to stack him when he hits part of the board or bluffs with air.

If it is a TAG and you are in position, reraise, you won't get much money in on the flop unless you are behind. Get your money in against a TAG while you are surely ahead.

If it is a rock and you are in position, call or re-raise. Call because you can stack him if the board goes small trash and he has a broadway OP to the board. Re-raise because you may not get any money after the flop unless he hits a set. Depends on how much of a nit/rock he is.

That is my thoughts on it.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Well if you only reraise AA, then you are right, but once you start reraising say 78s other interesting hands, your AA will suddenly get some action.

Read Dan Bitels article on light 3betting in the sticky !
Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 PM

thank you very much for your post, vern.
can you give a quick recap why position is so important in these cases?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Vern hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:36 PM

I think it's almost always a good idea at lower limits. I'm not sure that I'm quite as quick to jump on the vern bandwagon here. Certainly his advice is not bad, but I'm not sure that his description of how to play against a LAG is what you want to do against a true LAG. A decent lag isn't going to get stacked with any piece of the board, lags want to see a lot of flops and hit big hands against overpairs like ours. AA can get very tough on you if you let people see a lot of flops against you. Also, at the lower stakes there's a good possibility that by reraising you can get it all-in pf against KK, QQ, AK, and probably others depending on the villain.

At higher limits where you opponents will know you and have notes on you I think it is good to mix things up by just calling with AA once in a while. But I don't really think it's smart to be not building as large of a pot pf as possible when you get AA at microstakes.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 PM

I am almost always reraising AA preflop in the micro limits.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:44 PM

MrJet,

You are correct, I should have said bad player, good player. Against a bad player, I am not as concerned acting after them on the flop so I can call pre-flop. Assuming a good LAG will stack off is not entirely bad either, since he may eliminate AA from my potential holdings, but I prefer to have position on them.

As for why position is important: with position after the flop you can consider taking on bad aggressive players or rocks because you can insure the flop is bet or re-raise it. If you are out of position, get the money in pre-flop against a lone opponent because it will be much harder to extract money after the flop when you are ahead and easier for him to stack you if you are behind.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for why position is important: with position after the flop you can consider taking on bad aggressive players or rocks because you can insure the flop is bet or re-raise it. If you are out of position, get the money in pre-flop against a lone opponent because it will be much harder to extract money after the flop when you are ahead and easier for him to stack you if you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Good points.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 PM

I play micros so..

I re-raise every time except for very sepecific situations. In SnGs sometimes I don't (this probably isn't applicable here but anyway) if someone's short or shoving over limpers every single time I'll limp shove/call. This happens sometimes at cash games but hardly ever, only those rare times someone sits down and decides to start playing like an idiot.