Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Default How do you get the most value? You flopped quads! Heads up!

Okay so this is the like one of the first couple hands of a 22 180. No one I think knows me here, and I have zippo notes on any of these players.

Moving along....

Folded to the button who limps. Sb folds, which is amazing in it self, and I check without thinking.

Flop is of course all jacks. I check, he of course does what any really great 22 180 player would do, and min bets. I curse, out loud, and of course do what any bad unthinking player would do and call. The turn is a 9. I check praying to the sweet heavens that he has 9 in his hand. He of course does what any great 22 180 player would do and of course min bets again. Clearly this man is to much for me, if it wasn't for my amazing luck in flopping quads he would have outplayed me with such grace and skill.

I think for a second, and decide that I have two options here, I could raise big or minraise, maybe even raise a little. If he has a 9 he of course will most likely play for all of his chips which is of course the goal. For some odd reason, I decided to minraise. My thoughts are, he will call with ace high, he will fold just about all other hands, and if he of course has any pair he will call with that as well.

The river is what imo is the sweetest most juciest card in the deck. Another 9. Do I have any other option asides from shoving here? Seriously, I mean really, how can anyone fold and not play the board here. Betting half the pot makes it like a sign is on my head with quads here.

After the hand, I turned on chat to see if anyone said anything. I of course didn't show btw, I have a usually policy of never showing. Some idiot said good fold, were I promptly chimed in and told them all they were morons and I couldn't beat the board. I was then told I was a donkey and to shut up. So of course I bowed to my 22 dollar 180 masters and did as they wished.

Thoughts?

ps-I tried to use the converters but for some odd reason it didn't fly, I have like 6 other tables going so I could have just [censored] up. Btw all stacks are obviously 1500.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: How do you get the most value? You flopped quads! Heads up!

I think min-raising the turn, and pushing the river would be the best way to get the most out of this hand.

If he thinks you are bluffing the river and you are going to split the hand, he will call.

I once had a similar board, and I had min-raised the flop. He folded, I think it was the 15/30 level too...

PS: My 100th POST!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM

He might call a push, but on a board that he thinks is a tie he'll call a more reasonable bet 250-450 range. If he's a donk he can at least have the solace of having more chips to donk off.

Also if I had quads on that I would raised light on the flop, he bets 30 Make 90, 95. In a low limit players head you slow play with monsters and fast play with nothing, you are more likely to get him to come over the top with that, than if you come alive at the river.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:35 AM

i would have raised the flop to like 90 or 120 and would have played the rest of the hand pretty much the same way i think u prolly get ur call 50% of the time by nothin so i like how u played it except i would raise the flop
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 AM

lead out at the flop.
lead out on the turn.

as played, shove the river --> zeebo theorem

Yea, often times he will fold to your flop bet when he has 68o but when he decides to actually play with you then you will have a chance to win a big pot. Who cares if you win 60 more chips when he is bluffing... you need to learn to play big pots with your big hands (and check raising looks way too strong so you have to lead out)

also, he will never believe that you are leading out with quads so you will get a lot more action then you expect
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 AM

oops i read it wrong i thought he bet in front of our hero, i definately lead at this flop for 90 or so definately agree wit
cornell sorry read it wrong