Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Gus vs Watkinson

Just curious ... what does Gus have in this hand? Any opinions on his play here based on the assumptions?

Gus Hansen and Lee Watkinson just went at it for the first time since Gus was moved from the feature table to Lee's table, just under an hour ago.

Preflop, Gus made it 52,000 to go from the cutoff and Lee made the call from the big blind.

The flop came 4d Qs 5h and both players knuckled the table, opting for a free turn. The next card off the deck was the 3c. At this point, Lee attempted to take control of the hand, leading out with a 75,000 bet; Gus made the call.

The Jc fell on the river and Lee quickly fired out a 150,000 bet. "Mighty big bet," Gus said, as he considered his decision. A solid minute passed, as Gus rapidly tapped his foot on the ground, while stacking and restacking his chips. Every few seconds he glanced over at Lee in search of more information, but Lee didn't budge. Gus eventually made the call and Lee turned over for top two pair. Gus appeared stunned and held on to his cards for a few seconds before handing them over to the dealer.

Watkinson improved to 1,570,000 on the hand, while Gus dropped to 900,000.

Im a retard but I dont "understand" this line by Gus. Is it KK or AA trapping? Is this hand butchered by him ? Results excluded?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Gus vs Watkinson

So am I only one who finds this strange or do all the HSMTT experts have nothing to say on this one?????
Any thoughts or too whacked out?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 AM

assuming that the description of Gus reacting to the river is accurate and not embellished, I would say he had two pair, or, more likely, had AQ or KQ. I don't think it's Aces or Kings or he would have raised the turn.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 AM

AJ?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 AM

I agree AA or KK would raise turn but wouldnt AQ as well and even KQ bet the flop? I don think he has a Q unless it it is a weird hand like Q4 or Q5. Does AJ call this turn bet? Posssible as Lee could bet here with any two and then he gets stuck into calling river??

If Gus had air on flop wouldnt he be more likely to continuation bet?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 AM

AJ or TT. AJ would definitely call the turn with the gutshot and all
Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree AA or KK would raise turn but wouldnt AQ as well and even KQ bet the flop? I don think he has a Q unless it it is a weird hand like Q4 or Q5. Does AJ call this turn bet? Posssible as Lee could bet here with any two and then he gets stuck into calling river??

If Gus had air on flop wouldnt he be more likely to continuation bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm reading too much into the description of Gus's reaction at the end of the hand, but it sounds like he was shocked at his bad luck at being rivered, ie he had a pretty big hand and got drawn out on, maybe a weird two pair like Q5 or Q4. His check on the flop is strange, since in-position, you would expect him to bet at any flop. Maybe he was trying to disguise a big hand with an unexpected check, and giving Watkinson the impression he was on a big draw. But then again, wouldn't you expect him to bet a big draw? I guess it's the strength of Gus's style, that even after the cards are out and the bets tallied it's difficult to pinpoint his holding.

Maybe it was KJ and his reaction was to losing when he had his opponent dominated.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:56 AM

Now that I think about it, I'm sure it was AJ. The gutshot and the over would definitely necessitate a call on the turn and the river.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:02 AM

34?

54?

53?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 AM

I dont think KJ calls turn but does AJ check the flop then call that bet of 75000 in a pot of 104,000 approx (minus antes and blinds) so basically getting maybe 3-1 at best for his money on that shot?? over cards plus ace outs improve but enough there?? I really dont see AJ floating here and would actually expect Gus to raise that here(Again Im retarded but lagtards unite). I would also expect on this flop any pair liek 88-TT to bet as well as AJ. I think he is on some strange hand liek 45 soooooooted and took it too far on turn.