Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 01:46 PM

Default RIP Mr. Butch (Kenmore Sq - Boston)

Harold "Mr. Butch" Madison, Jr. died at 56 years-old
in a scooter crash. He was a legend in the Boston
area, and probably the nicest/funniest/most caring
homeless man who ever lived.

Full Story

-ZEN
Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: RIP Mr. Butch (Kenmore Sq - Boston)

If he was so aweseom why didnt anyone try and get him off the street? Maybe Im in a bad mood, but this story pisses me off. A bunch of rich douche bags bemoaning the fact that a street person, who was nothing other than a source of entertainment for them, died, when the fact is, during teh time he was alive, the most they did for him was give him a couple sawbucks.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM

This guy was the man. I used to see him like 5 times a week. This really sucks, people I've talked to are genuinely depressed. He was the friendliest guy ever.

I saw him the other week eating a full meal and drinking inside Pizzeria Uno's. Such a character to be penniless one day and eating full meals the next.

He used to give money to random neighborhood people to hold onto for him and they call it "Mr. Butch's Bank" and at any given time there would be 10+ people holding a dollar in his bank.

Some youtubes of him:

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...ch&search=
Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Yeah I lived right by Harvard Ave and Comm Ave. last year, would see him when I went to Bagel Rising, I never really talked to him but he seemed like a good guy.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he was so aweseom why didnt anyone try and get him off the street? Maybe Im in a bad mood, but this story pisses me off. A bunch of rich douche bags bemoaning the fact that a street person, who was nothing other than a source of entertainment for them, died, when the fact is, during teh time he was alive, the most they did for him was give him a couple sawbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you read the story you [censored] moron.

Plenty of people tried for decades to get him into rehab, subsidized housing, etc. Many, many people. He never wanted to give up substances and his life as a street celeb. He came to Boston College and spoke in front of a class once. People loved him and tried to help him, but he didn't want help, he was happy how he was.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of people tried for decades to get him into rehab, subsidized housing, etc. Many, many people. He never wanted to give up substances and his life as a street celeb. He came to Boston College and spoke in front of a class once. People loved him and tried to help him, but he didn't want help, he was happy how he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, the vast majority of people probably did nothing.

and to the ones who tried I take it back, but Im not registering to get a username and password to read about a vagrant.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Butch
Old 07-13-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and to the ones who tried I take it back, but Im not registering to get a username and password to read about a vagrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The vast majority". Just stop posting. You're typical hardass, make a claim without thinking sometimes hits bullseyes, but here you're just wrong.

To some people he was just another homeless guy, but to the people that knew of him or have talked with him, they knew that he was happy and that people had tried to help him for literally 30 years, and it was better to just have nice conversation, toss him a meal or a couple bucks, and tell him have a nice day.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL this is so retarded I hope it's a joke. You act all "holier than thou" about helping the guy and then he's not even worth 5 seconds of your precious time.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They did try. He wasn't interested. Read the article. He lived his life on his own terms and made the lives of people around him better. I don't see what the problem is.