Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Default I found an acorn

40 like 6-7 handed. PFR is asian Dave for those of you that play the game. He is one of the better regulars and probably best described as tight passive. Other villain is Jeff B who is for sure a winning player and is tight and fairly aggressive. I am running fantastic in this game and winning every pot I play.

Dave raises in the HJ, Jeff calls on button, I call in bb with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Dave bets, Jeff calls I call

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, Dave bets, Jeff calls. I see now quite clearly that Jeff's poker hand is either a very weak made hand or a draw while Dave's is most certainly a solid pair. Check/raising a flush draw here wouldn't make much sense because Dave understands this, so if I c/r I must have a 9 or better. I then c/r expecting them both to fold a decent amount or to have Dave fold immediately and Jeff fold the river that I'm firing close to 100%. In the very off chance that both call I give up unless I get there with a J not counting as getting there.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: I found an acorn

is your standard play with a 9 to C/C the flop 3-handed? b/c if not then they either have to put you on a set turned boat (which people dont like to do) or air.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Yeah against these guys in a 3 handed pot I would probably call quite often with a 9 here on this flop. Other times I donk flop or c/c turn or donk turn.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah against these guys in a 3 handed pot I would probably call quite often with a 9 here on this flop. Other times I donk flop or c/c turn or donk turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah in that case, if villains are aware of this i like your play.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check/raising a flush draw here wouldn't make much sense because Dave understands this, so if I c/r I must have a 9 or better. I then c/r expecting them both to fold a decent amount or to have Dave fold immediately and Jeff fold the river that I'm firing close to 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I do this third level thinking I'm getting pwned bc I keep forgetting I shouldn't give my opponents respect for being able to think and act on the 2nd level, bc they never do (except for one or two and even they are usually not believing bc they know I make moves), if you're convinced that these guys are different then it's a sweet line obv, but I've never played in your game so I couldn't tell

I'd try to take control of the hand on the flop with a c/r and lead turn, much higher succes rate imo and you'd be investing less monies
Old 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM

seems like you might be relying too much on their levels of thinking. even if they are good enough to think like that, there's a good chance that, on the river, they still convince themselves to call in case you were drawing.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM

You'd just check-call a 9 on the flop? And not raise a draw-rich board with better against two guys already having one bet in?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd just check-call a 9 on the flop? And not raise a draw-rich board with better against two guys already having one bet in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Andy, this seems weird. I'd just checkraise the flop and power through generally with such a draw but as played I don't think you are representing anything but he is pretty weak tight so it might work.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Check-raise the flop like you had a 9, and when you do have a nine, realize there are times you have a straight re-draw or two pair already.

Dave doesn't have to have a pair on this turn with the way Jeff has been playing and you with an obvious draw as played on the flop.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I play like a puss against bad tight players in non-HU pots.

I was semiwrong because Dave rolled his eyes and folded and Jeff called. River was a 7 and I reflex bet and this is literally the one river I don't think I should bet once the pot gets HU vs Jeff. Luckily Jeff gives me a lot less respect than I thought he gave me and he called me with red AJ or something, I just know he flashed the Ace of diamonds and wasn't happy. He should have just folded and let my genius play work. After the hand Dave was not happy so I am pretty sure he folded a winner.