Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Default A couple recent hands with from last night

For those of you who are sucessfull in MTT, especially online please provide your thoughts an analysis on a couple hands from last night.

Full Tilt. $163 MTT.

Hand #1
Blinds 80/160
UTG calls
Folded around
Hero ( ~ 3k) decide to raise to 500 with 66. I have been pretty tight and card dead up to this point.
SB moves all-in for ~ 1,300
BB folds.

My thought process is that SB has moved in a couple times recently. He is short stacked and generally I can beat or be in a coin flip with most of his likely holdings. More than anything, I also figure I need to start to accumalate chips. I decide to call. Villian shows AK and turns an A.

A few hands later I get lucky and double up.

Shortly after I call an All-in with AK and lose to KJ when a J flops.

I find this very frusterating. However, the only hand I had control over was when I had 66. Had I just limped the SB would have still likely pushed with AK. Then, I have less comitted to the pot, have lower pots odds, and have a chance to fold. Or may it would still be correct to call, and it would have been the same result either way. This is what I am not sure about. In a live tourney I might play it differently, but it seems like you have to play a little faster and more aggressive in online tourneys.

Hand #2
Blinds 120/240 25 ante
UTG limper (~3,500)
Hero (~2,500) Js10c. Pushes all-in.
SB (~4,000) fold
BB (~10,000) fold

Suprisingly the limper calls me with K9. I can't believe he called off almost all his chips with that hand. At the same time maybe a steal with Jack high isnt so smart and I could have waited for a little bit better hand. When I think back on it, I figured I had just over 10 BB. So I had just enough chips where I wasnt "forced" to push with that hand. But on the other hand, I thought I had some decent fold equity. I got unlucky that I got called too. How bad was my push here? Is there anyway to calculate how often I get called here? I read Harringtons book, but it seems like a lot of math equations to me. Is there anyway to quickly figure this out?

Please provide your thoughts on these hands and my general thinking. I am really looking to improve my tournament game. I think I am very close, but I make one or two mistakes in each tournament that really kill me.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A couple recent hands with from last night

What is UTG's stack size? What is BB's stack size?

What position are you in hand 2?

Barry
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM

In hand #2 I am on the button.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 PM

#1 was played fine. You should raise, and obviously call the R/R with those odds. Well played, bad luck. The 2nd one is more read-dependant... Has UTG been limping with big hands, does he limp/fold, etc? In a vacuum, I like your play more live than online - you are much more likely to get everyone to fold live. Online... idiots are liable to call with K9 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], KJ, QJ, KQ, AJ. I am 50/50 on that play - I can see the logic, but I can also see waitng to be 1st in with a hand like JT.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 PM

whats your pos in hand 2? if late its ok but not great. id wait for a better spot than j 10 . only 1 limper you risking a lot for not that much. the 66 call of all in is an absolute no brainer.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

My thoughts:

Hand one. Simple and straight forward you have to make those calls.

Hand two: Your push is fine if it had folded to you, don't like it once someone puts money in infront of you, you could have waited to be first in.

Ken