Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Worried about coworker - advice needed

I am worried about a guy I work with, he has recently gotten separated from his wife and seems very depressed. I know its normal to be upset over this, but I think he is developing a fairly serious drinking problem. Since his break up, he has missed quite a bit of work, calling in sick. On a few occasions he has come in looking pretty hungover, and I have smelled that leftover from the night before alcohol smell. I have also smelled it on him when he comes back from lunch. I know this isn't conclusive proof he has a problem, but he has never had this before. His break up was almost a month ago, and he has lost considerable weight also.

We work in a fairly small place, he is in the warehouse, I am in credit/billing. Some of the office staff has started talking about him, and our President of the company is away right now. I am concerned it will get back to him, he is not a warm or understanding guy and I am pretty sure this coworker would lose his job. We don't have any disability pay either fyi. The company is so small that there are only 8 office people and 14 warehouse guys, two of the office people would love to be the company hero and report it. Its really a matter of who will beat who to "tell".

I am not really "close" to this guy, we are both fairly reserved and keep to ourselves, but we do have a working relationship. In the past month he has turned in paperwork to me to for items to be credited, and has made a lot of mistakes, which I have pretty much just checked myself and fixed. His work is def being affected though. He and I have lunch together when we break at the same time, will pick up coffee/etc. for each other, but aren't friends outside of work.

Do I talk to this guy? I am genuinely worried about him, his job and his health. I am concerned he will become angry and it will be awkward, of course. I think one of two things could happen, he could become angry and feel I invaded his privacy (most likely) or he could realize that if his coworkers notice that he might have a real problem and get some help.

What to do here? This is a geniunely good guy, when my car broke down he fixed it for me and only charged for the part. He also does little nice things like clean the snow off my car in the winter, etc. Advice, please.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Worried about coworker - advice needed

This spot sucks.

Maybe you could say something like "You've made a bunch of errors on forms lately, maybe you should take a little time off work to deal with your separation?" or something like that. Using the errors he's made to imply that you think there's something wrong without explicitly stating it should keep him from getting angry while letting him know that he's on thin ice with his job and that other people have noticed.

The big problem is that he might not care that his job is in trouble depending on how deep his drinking and depression are.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM

You should definitely say something. In a polite way, you can mention all of the things you just wrote out, and that you don't want him to get fired or in trouble at work, and offer your help.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Is the warehouse foreman aware of this situation? What action has he taken? Is the guy's boss willing to go to bat for him in front of the president?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am concerned it will get back to him, he is not a warm or understanding guy and I am pretty sure this coworker would lose his job.

[/ QUOTE ]
?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM

We don't really have a warehouse foreman, we have 2 "lead" guys, and my coworker (Mark) is one of them. The other lead guy most likely noticed it, but I don't think he would go to bat for him if push came to shove. I don't think he would report it either, he is kind of the I don't want to get involved type. Also, not being the guys supervisor, he wouldn't really come into play. They both report to the President (really small place).
Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM

when i first started reading the OP i was half expecting it to end with, i think he is going to go on a rampage and shoot us all, what should i do?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The company is so small that there are only 8 office people and 14 warehouse guys, two of the office people would love to be the company hero and report it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunder Mifflin? Obv mention the problem to Tobey before Michael is back from Stamford. Def don't mention it to Kelly or everyone will hear about it. If you really need to tell someone else, Stanley is probably safe.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Talk to the guy and see what he has to say. It's been one month. He has to start to pick up the pieces at some point. I would guess that as long as he sobers up before the big boss returns everything should be cool.

If I'm the boss, no way I'm firing a long time worker for drunkenness unless I see 1st hand evidence of it.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i first started reading the OP i was half expecting it to end with, i think he is going to go on a rampage and shoot us all, what should i do?

[/ QUOTE ]

While not all of these situations necessarily end in mass murder, practically every workplace mass murder starts with one of these situations.

Get a bullet-proof vest, OP.