Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Blind Defense - JJ vs AKx Flop

This hand has been bothering me all day, so I had to post it:

Villain in a 28/19/2.8 after 17,000 hands. We play together pretty much always, and he's a 2BB/100 loser in my sample (but Absolute is fun like that). The fact that he's a bigger loser in the game than I am made this hand bother me even more, since I think his play in this hand is either very questionable or just plain brilliant.

Absolute Poker $3/$6 5-Handed

Hero is in the BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to Button who raises, SB folds, Hero 3-Bets, Button calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Button raises...

Here's the problem I have with this hand:

If I were villain and had a weak Ace or strong/weak King, I wouldn't raise this flop. I'd play WA/WB and just get to showdown. I don't know if this is correct or not, but that's just how I'd play it, and my aggression is a little over 2.

There are no reasonable draws whatsoever, but I still have a very hard time folding this hand

Thoughts? If you were villain, what hands would you play this way?

One more question... If the roles were reversed, and I was Button with JJ and Villain 3-Bet me preflop from the BB, how would you play the hand out with a board like that? (I would cap preflop in this situation, so let's say Villain leads out on the flop anyway)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Blind Defense - JJ vs AKx Flop

"Thoughts? If you were villain, what hands would you play this way?"

i'd play AT-AQ like him sometimes. i don't always just call those down. i'd never raise KT-KQ on the flop. i'd just fold 22-77 on this flop. i'd sometimes raise QJ/QT/JT on this flop.

"If the roles were reversed, and I was Button with JJ and Villain 3-Bet me preflop from the BB, how would you play the hand out with a board like that? (I would cap preflop in this situation, so let's say Villain leads out on the flop anyway)"

i think the flop donk into a preflop capper is going to be an underpair 22-88 a decent amount, but that doesn't mean i just want to calldown JJ on AKx. i kind of want to raise/fold to end the hand then and there, but basically i just hate that spot.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Well, if I had a weak Ace or a King maybe you're correct and I would take a WA/WB line. However, just because that may be the correct line doesn't mean that's not what he does. What else is he playing like this other than an Ace or King? If he's got a low pp then he's going to lose playing this way in the long run (at least I would think).

If I were villain I'd play my good hands this way. Probably A9,AT,AJ,A2,K2,and 22.

If roles were reversed and villain donked I think I would fold unless I had a read that he donk bluffs. I really wouldn't think he donks this vs a pf capper though.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 AM

You should not think what you should do if you were villain, it's more interesting what he would do. Some players would raise Ax hoping for you to have Kx. Could he be raising TT or worse PP. I doubt it since there's no reason for him thinking you don't have a ace or king. If you don't think it destroys your image to much you could fold flop, otherwise you could peel flop and c/f turn.