Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Satellite Strategy - Playing the MONSTER stack close to the bubble

This is a general question and I am pursuing a theory of mine, wanted to know if anyone had any comments on it. My roommates both disagree with me on this, so I wanted to ask the general 2p2 consensus.

Satellite into a big tournament (doesn't matter the size)... we're down to 21 people. 15 get seats, 3 other cash something minor and insignificant. We have 32k chips and are the chip leader after aggressively dominating the table and having people just donate chips to us happily. The second stack overall is just over 21k and no one else is over 18k. We are on a relatively short table, having recently taken out the only guy over 7k. The rough chip counts are (32k, 4 in the 6k range, 5k, 2 and 3k, and a shortly at about 1800). Blinds are up to 500/1000 with antes.

Here is my question. Given this table dynamic and structure, is it a good play to open shove every hand? Excluding total garbage hands. So maybe, open shove the following range {A2+, K2+, 54+, 64s+, 22+} ? If we lose, we are still chip leader. If we get called, we probably have good equity. If not called, we take more chips away from short stacks.

Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Satellite Strategy - Playing the MONSTER stack close to the bubble

What do you gain by playing hands instead of just folding?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM

Pushing around the short guys and putting them on tough decisions... not letting them just fold in.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM

I would think that in this situation it can't be optimal to push ever hand. The point of a satelite is to qualify and with nothing else to gain by going deeper why would you take such chances? You can cruise you way in with 32bb's here. Especially since so many have like 6bbs or less. There is an excellent post in the anthology about this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...409&page=1
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM

And that helps you how exactly?

edit: I mean, you have like a 99.99% chance to get a seat right now, you get absolutely no benefit from playing hands.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing around the short guys and putting them on tough decisions... not letting them just fold in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a flat payout structure, so why not just fold in yourself? What are you gaining by collecting chips here? Again, it's a flat payout structure. You don't gain anything.

I think your strategy (super aggro push botting with a monster stack on the bubble of a satellite) is the exact opposite of optimal. Big stacks should be very tight on the bubble of a satellite. Monstro stacks have the most equity on a satellite bubble, so they have (by far) the most to lose by splashing around. You don't need to push around short stacks; that's what blinds are for. And really, it should be said again, gaining extra chips gets you nothing here, but losing chips could be a huge equity drain.

Even though it might be counter-intuitive, it really makes much more sense for short-stacks to get LAGtarded on a satellite bubble than big stacks.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Like Dunkman said, you're basically garunteed to place. Which makes playing ANY hand -$ev. I'm folding aces without much thought here.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM

unplug youre computer
Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a general question and I am pursuing a theory of mine, wanted to know if anyone had any comments on it. My roommates both disagree with me on this, so I wanted to ask the general 2p2 consensus.

Satellite into a big tournament (doesn't matter the size)... we're down to 21 people. 15 get seats, 3 other cash something minor and insignificant. We have 32k chips and are the chip leader after aggressively dominating the table and having people just donate chips to us happily. The second stack overall is just over 21k and no one else is over 18k. We are on a relatively short table, having recently taken out the only guy over 7k. The rough chip counts are (32k, 4 in the 6k range, 5k, 2 and 3k, and a shortly at about 1800). Blinds are up to 500/1000 with antes.

Here is my question. Given this table dynamic and structure, is it a good play to open shove every hand? Excluding total garbage hands. So maybe, open shove the following range {A2+, K2+, 54+, 64s+, 22+} ? If we lose, we are still chip leader. If we get called, we probably have good equity. If not called, we take more chips away from short stacks.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke post, right?!