Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 07:17 PM

Default A Gift of $1500 thanks to a true donkey

***** Hand History for Game 3609355070 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $530 Buy-in Trny:20428786 Level:6 Blinds(300/600) - Thursday, February 23, 17:41:26 ET 2006
Table Speed #1136579 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 5: RojoCuse ( $1396 )
Seat 9: XXsooted ( $5450 )
Seat 8: actaml ( $7214 )
Seat 10: perkulator ( $5940 )
Trny:20428786 Level:6
Blinds(300/600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RojoCuse [ 9c Ac ]
perkulator calls [600].
RojoCuse is all-In [1396]
actaml folds.
XXsooted calls [796].
perkulator calls [796].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, 8d, 7d ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator bets [1000].
XXsooted folds.
perkulator shows [ Th, Kc ] high card king.
RojoCuse shows [ 9c, Ac ] high card ace.
perkulator wins 1000 chips from side pot #1 with high card king.
RojoCuse wins 4488 chips from the main pot with high card ace.

XXSooted folded AJ (no diamond) but he went on to berate this player who bet 1k on the river. The hilarious thing about it is, the guy who bet 1k on the river got 4th. I got 2nd, and XXSooted got 1st. Justice served. This is a $530 tourney. I wouldn't even expect to see this at the 22s or 33s (although I'm sure it does? If so, how often does this happen?)

-Jared
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: A Gift of $1500 thanks to a true donkey

At lower stakes, you see it infrequently enough that it stands out. At a $530 that just makes no sense.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At lower stakes, you see it infrequently enough that it stands out. At a $530 that just makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is, around half the time I see it, the bluff-better at the end wins the pot...which begs the question: if people are dumb and all-inning with crap or middle cards ("live ones") is, the bluff on the end really wrong if it wins x% of the time? (Don't ask me what percentage that X is, I dunno.)(
Old 02-23-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
***** Hand History for Game 3609355070 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $530 Buy-in Trny:20428786 Level:6 Blinds(300/600) - Thursday, February 23, 17:41:26 ET 2006
Table Speed #1136579 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 5: RojoCuse ( $1396 )
Seat 9: XXsooted ( $5450 )
Seat 8: actaml ( $7214 )
Seat 10: perkulator ( $5940 )
Trny:20428786 Level:6
Blinds(300/600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RojoCuse [ 9c Ac ]
perkulator calls [600].
RojoCuse is all-In [1396]
actaml folds.
XXsooted calls [796].
perkulator calls [796].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2d, 8d, 7d ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]
XXsooted checks.
perkulator bets [1000].
XXsooted folds.
perkulator shows [ Th, Kc ] high card king.
RojoCuse shows [ 9c, Ac ] high card ace.
perkulator wins 1000 chips from side pot #1 with high card king.
RojoCuse wins 4488 chips from the main pot with high card ace.

XXSooted folded AJ (no diamond) but he went on to berate this player who bet 1k on the river. The hilarious thing about it is, the guy who bet 1k on the river got 4th. I got 2nd, and XXSooted got 1st. Justice served. This is a $530 tourney. I wouldn't even expect to see this at the 22s or 33s (although I'm sure it does? If so, how often does this happen?)

-Jared

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get how this makes the guy who bet 1000 on the river a donkey. True, he pushed the better hand out of the pot and it allowed you to show the winning hand, plus he probably should'nt have called your push preflop. If he's figuring that your pushing standards are near who knows what being the shortstack with barely 2BBs, I say it's an easy call. Maybe the gift was from XXsooted who didn't call the river, not perkulator, you think?

Flight_Risk
Old 02-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Please tell me you are kidding. It's 4 handed. A bet on the river is horrendous bc a worse hand cannot call and only forces hands out that can eliminate me and makes the rest of the 3 cash. If he's the chip leader with a ridiculous lead, it could be argued that this play is meant to maintain a bubble, but clearly this is not the case.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Look at the board, man. The flush and straight riffic nature turns a normal "WTF? That's terrible" play into an inexplicable "Free money for RojoCuse" equity transfer.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me you are kidding. It's 4 handed. A bet on the river is horrendous bc a worse hand cannot call and only forces hands out that can eliminate me and makes the rest of the 3 cash. If he's the chip leader with a ridiculous lead, it could be argued that this play is meant to maintain a bubble, but clearly this is not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were in XX's shoes, I could see you even bringing up the 1000 bet. The fact is, you barely had 2BBs pushing all-in with virtually any two and got called by two opponents. At this blind level, this would be a standard call even at the $1.75s. Perkulator probably felt that he had the best hand and bet enough on the river to make XX fold. You won with Ace high. Wow. Happens all the time. Your fate was sealed by the preflop play, not the river, IMO. Had XX not called and it played out the same way to the river, you still would have won the hand. Be glad it didn't get checked to the river because you surely would have been bounced in 4th and we wouldn't have even seen this hand.

Flight_Risk
Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 PM

I'd really love to hear perkulator's take on what he was thinking - could help understand donk behavior. Did he offer any defense in chat?

I wonder if some people honestly can't grasp these situations? I honestly think he bet thinking a bluff is the only way he's gonna win this pot. Then went "oh" as the money moved to you. Then went "OH" when he busted out in 4th. Only to forget and do it all again a week from now. I think some people aren't very good at thinking on their feet and only learn these kinds of things by getting burned 3 or 4 times.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 PM

Perkalator didnt chat. It'a also clear flight risk doesnt understand this either.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd really love to hear perkulator's take on what he was thinking - could help understand donk behavior. Did he offer any defense in chat?

I wonder if some people honestly can't grasp these situations? I honestly think he bet thinking a bluff is the only way he's gonna win this pot. Then went "oh" as the money moved to you. Then went "OH" when he busted out in 4th. Only to forget and do it all again a week from now. I think some people aren't very good at thinking on their feet and only learn these kinds of things by getting burned 3 or 4 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but if he's figuring the board missed Rojo, does it really matter how he played the river? You all seemed to be condemning a play AFTER the results turned out in Rojo's favor, which sounds results-oriented. Had the play worked and Rojo got bounced out in 4th, I doubt Rojo even posts the hand.

Flight_Risk