Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 AM

Default AJo OOP RR pot 1000NL

I would appreciate comments on this hand if possible. Every street was questionable (to my mind) so I'd be curious to know where my biggest errors were.

<font color="green"> Villain is 26/20 and steals a lot over just 70 hands. He has an AF of 3. I have nothing else on him.
</font>

He raises from button ($33)and I 3-bet A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from BB ($104); he calls.

<font color="blue">I have very mixed views about 3-betting hands like AJo when OOP. It will certainly be ahead of his range but IF he calls, I am going to be OOP with a hand that I can never be confident about whatever I do. What do people prefer, 3-betting or call followed by fit/fold or call followed by CR a lot of flops whether hit or not?
</font>

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Pot is $200 - 2 players

<font color="blue"> Clearly not a good flop for me. I opt to make a CB of $157 and it is called. Would you make this play or just c/f? It seems likely that a) he will have a hand he will not fold b) he will assume I have probably missed </font>

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Pot is $528 and we each have $750 left. I check and call his $300 bet

<font color="blue"> When the turn brings a Jack, is there any way I can now fold this hand or does the PFRR and the flop called bet now mean that the pot has grown so large that TPTK is a through ticket? I decided that I was committed in any case (with just one pair - ugh!)and instead of betting and perhaps folding out a worse hand I opted to check to induce a bluff. This is on the basis that I am losing my stack if behind so I may as well win as much as possible when ahead. This works very well at 600NL and below but I am not sure that I have enough knowledge of 1000NL yet to know if this is as useful. Your thoughts? </font>

River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I continue my plan and c/c his remaining $450.

I HATE this hand and especially when he flips 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for flopped 2 pair. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I find these preflop RR pots when OOP very difficult.

I would really appreciate some comments here guys.Please help [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

TYIA

T
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: AJo OOP RR pot 1000NL

PF: Save re-raises with hands like this for times when you CAN play confidently after the flop with top pair. Whether this means that the guy is a station or a maniac (either in general or vs you) or when you know the guy is gonna be weak tight and won't bluff you, so you can try getting to showdown cheap, when you want to.

Flop: yawn.

Turn: C/c is the only line that I really hate here. ALL of your other options, short of open folding, are significantly better.

Stacks sizes are just awful for calling here, he's almost never gonna bluff the river, and he would have been priced in on the turn to call with a draw. You could argue that you can c/f the river.... but it's pretty sick given the odds you're getting.

Which of the other options to choose depends on a lot of things.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 AM

AJo is pretty meh I'd call/fold preflop possibly 3bet if i've been playing tight

I'd check fold that flop

might as well get it in on the turn so he doesnt suckout with a flushdraw or something like 44, dont think he'd bluff the river or valuebet a worse hand
Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 AM

These aren't criticisms, just advice. First of all, don't post the end results of the hand until a few posts later so people don't become biased. Second, we need a bit more info at the beginning like effective starting stack sizes and some possible "reads" though they may be incorrect because of the small sample size. Like is this joker calling PF RRes pretty lightly? and how often does he call big bets post flop? Is he a calling station/slow player or an aggressive maniac? Will he smoothcall PF with AA/KK/QQ or just shovel it in? You said you would be ahead of his calling range but with AJ that shouldn't be the case against a normal player. You really can't be RRing lightly if you are likely to get called and be out of position. The move gets its value from high FE as it's not fun to play a bloated pot out of position with basically no hand.

Personally I like to PF RR an obvious steal raise with a pretty small range including AK and pairs and very rarely other hands. Thus you get some decent respect and aren't called all that often and have a decent hand when you do get called. Your raise size is slightly smaller than I'd like to see. Make it more like $120.

When I RR PF, I bet the flop almost 100% of the time so your flop bet is fine I think. You really just got unlucky here because a check/fold on the turn should be the next step after he calls the flop, but that J got you into trouble.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Big Jim,

Just to clarify, what is your yawn entailing? I think this is a standard continuation bet after the 3bet, is it not?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 PM

No criticism taken [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the reply.

I don't normally post end results but in this case I was more concerned about the decisions I could have taken and whether the RR pot made it more difficult than usual to get away from a one pair hand. I also trusted players at this level not to be too results oriented; I may be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Stack sizes are implicit but I could have made it easier I agree.

I gave all I had in green in terms of reads.

Cheers

T