Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Dell laptop battery/AC problem

I have an aging inspiron 6000, a few months ago the battery went dead so I replaced that, but it was still not charging properly. So I replace the AC adapter also, the battery is charing again now, but I keep getting this [censored] error message... " The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation" If I have my laptop on my lap, this [censored] message literally pops up, along with a VERY annoying beep, every 5 seconds.

My question is, can I delete this error message from my computer somehow so it can't pop up at all.

edit: No reward threads in CTH. -Sam
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Dell laptop battery/AC problem (w/ small cash reward)

I'm not at all trying to be a smart alec here but are you 100% sure the new AC adapter is the correct one? It sounds like the problem is exactly what the error message says....you have the improper power adapter. Or another possibility is you have the right adapter but it isn't working properly and putting the correct amount of wattage through to the power supply.

Just a thought....
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM

No, I should have mentioned that I already got this message with the old AC adapter too, but that one would not even charge the battery, this one charges it, but along with this message all the fricken time. Also, I ordered the new adapter right off their website under the Inspiron 6000 section so I'm 99.9% sure its the correct model.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

I've got a different Dell laptop and ordered a replacement adapter from their website and got a similar message despite the Dell website indicating that the one I ordered would be perfectly adequate for my laptop model.

IIRC, my pop-up said that with the adapter I was now using, the battery would charge at a slower rate and the screen display would not be as bright. It recommended that I use one of at least 90 watts (I think). I returned that adapter and ordered one with the recommended wattage from somewhere else and experienced no further problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 AM

I think the problem is actually because of the abuse its taken, the jack where you plug in the power supply has a ton of play in it. (I can move it up or down like an 8th of an inch) If I firmly press the cord into the back, the message will never come up. So I'm not looking to spend any more money on this computer...just want to use it maybe 6 more months to get my moneys worth as it is completely fine to use aside from this [censored] alert message.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 AM

Ok, you just gave us a ton of useful info. Yep, more than likely you have a bad connection from the female power jack to the power supply. This is VERY common with laptops and I could do a search and pull up a couple good threads here on this topic.

You have a couple options.....live with it, but know that one day it will simply stop charging. You will then be in trouble. You will have to get your battery charged someway or your computer will be 100% useless. The other option is to get it fixed. Not sure what Dell would charge but it won't be cheap. 3rd party repair usually cost between $100-$175. If you just want to let it go a few more months that is fine but be warned, when that loose connection finally breaks, you are out of luck. You can still get the data off the hard drive by taking it out and hooking it to another computer, but you will not be able to use the laptop unless you can find another similar laptop to charge the battery in. I've been in this exact situation.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 AM

I def know the computer is on it's last leg and I probably should not have even replaced the battery or adapter. But now that I did, I just want to use it till it dies.

What I'm looking for is where such an error message would be stored on your computer, and if its possible to rid the computer of the error message permanently.

Edit- I just realized how stupid the subject to this thread is, I shoulda named it "how do you delete an error message"
Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM

I have no idea how you'd stop that error message. It's not a normal windows message, it's a Dell hardware message alerting you to a fairly serious problem. I have no idea where that sort of message would be coded. I searched Google for that error message and I found very very little and most of it wasn't in English.

Sorry Duvvard, I'm a Dell laptop man but I can't imagine where to begin on trying to stop an error message like that. Maybe someone else can chime in here??
Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM

I'm not sure how to get rid of that msg either. I have a laditude 820 and sometimes I have to use a PS from an older 800 and I get the same message, perhaps it's because the old battery is the old school style and the battery I have on the 820 is the 9 cell version. I just hit escape and move on.