Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Valueshoveaments

This is a 10+1 on stars, 20k guaranteed.

Tourney didn't start very long ago, so no huge reads, but when I've raised people have liked to raise me back for some reason.

However, notice the minraise PF. That told me he probably has AA.

I raised flop to see where I was at. When he just calls, I decide he has a lot less chance of having AA. I shoved river knowing I;'m getting called by AA/KK, and straight hands probably woudln't have called pf. Comments on all streets appreciated, but I was mostly just happy knowing that shoving the river is best.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t4665)
BB (t5205)
UTG (t3028)
Hero (t2040)
MP1 (t4240)
MP2 (t5252)
MP3 (t2040)
CO (t10165)
Button (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t60, MP3 calls t60.

Flop: (t480) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t210</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls t390.

Turn: (t1680) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

River: (t1920) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1170 (All-In)</font>,

Final Pot: t4260
Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Valueshoveaments

He folds JJ and AT to your river bet (although I'm not sure he min-raises AT PF).

Flop is a tough decision because just calling might induce MP to stick around (which is bad). The raise seems okay. If he shoves after your raise do you call?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah I dunno if I've ever seen anyone minraise JJ. Good point though, but I still think a shove is right there as any other bet doesn't really make sense.

Even though he minraised PF, gotta call a flop shove. Could be a flush draw, or even a straight. Can't be afriad of two hands.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though he minraised PF, gotta call a flop shove. Could be a flush draw, or even a straight. Can't be afriad of two hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2. Just asking.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Would you say your table image was somewhat loose? I ask for 2 reasons:

1) It is likely to explain the reraises you are facing.

2) With a LAG image, you stand a chance of being called by a weaker hand on the river and I like the bet for the upside when you can make someone make a big mistake. However, if you've been playing tight, this bet gets no action from anyone but an oblivious idiot.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM

The turn bet had idiot written all over it, we are wayyy under repped. You are playing what appears to be a very weak player. I like the shove based on that alone. $10 level AT ( and many other hands) will call frequently enough to make this the play.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 AM

Yeah, I think they might have thought I was on the Laggy side. They'd reraised me and I'd folded a couple times PF or on the flop.

Why do you think I'm under repped? I raised PF and raised the flop. I guess I could have 4 bet PF but I mean that yells AA/KK.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 AM

I think the turn call could make the river push look like a missed fd, maybe AK, making the flop raise look like an effort for a free river. You have to think he does not realize he is repping a huge hand with that pf minraise. I agree with the minraise read at least puts him on a hand he will probly not fold if he's willing to minbet the turn. I think the shove is the only play here, $10 donks call off a wide range of river bets. I think it is wise to push the bets for value when in spots like this at these limits, especially early on. If not push, how much value would you get? Weak players are calling any bet if they're calling, your push has similar odds of getting called as a smaller bet.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 AM

I think you vastly overestimate how often he has AA just based on a min-raise. I 4-bet preflop fairly often in this spot (when in a $10 tournament) and wind up against worse hands way more often than not. As played shove turn.