Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Default table breaks?

just wondering if there's a specific format as to when tables are broken in MTTs - i think there's a chapter about it in Skalansky's book, but alas, i don't own it... also, does the same principal for live tournament play carry over to online MTTs.. thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: table breaks?

From my limited live play it appears most poker rooms have a procedure for which tables break in what order although I don't think it is always a hard and fast rule.

On-line there are rules (or algorithms) that determine which table breaks when, but they vary from site to site and are based on enough factors that you couldn't predict what table will break when anyway since it is decided somewhat on the fly.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From my limited live play it appears most poker rooms have a procedure for which tables break in what order although I don't think it is always a hard and fast rule.

On-line there are rules (or algorithms) that determine which table breaks when, but they vary from site to site and are based on enough factors that you couldn't predict what table will break when anyway since it is decided somewhat on the fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker used to break in numerical fashion...highest to lowest. I liked that because I always knew when my table would break. Stars does not. Not sure about FTP (or any other sites).
Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM

I'd also go as far as to say stars is not only random, but reforms tables by couping equivalent stacks with each other in order to promote continuous aggressive play.

I.E. every time I end up with a very large stack in the mid levels of a MTT, my table slowly (or quickly...really) becomes full of similarly sized stacks. I've been in the top 10 and had 4 other stacks in the top 12 move to my table with me with a field of 700 left.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Late in tournaments it seems as though whichever table eliminates the last player breaks into the other tables. So say with 10 people left in a tournament. Table 1 knocks out the guy in 10th place so the remaining 4 at table 1 move to table 2.

Early on in the tournament, no clue as to how they decide.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker used to break in numerical fashion...highest to lowest. I liked that because I always knew when my table would break. Stars does not. Not sure about FTP (or any other sites).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I stand (partially) corrected. This method (either numerical or in a somewhat predictable fashion based on table placement within the room) is what I've seen live in those rooms where I've played enough to notice a pattern. My comment that it isn't always hard and fast is based on a discussion overheard between 2 or 3 floor people during one of the Venetian Deepstack tournaments where they changed their mind multiple times about which table they wanted to break next.

I've played enough volume on-line on UB and Full Tilt to notice that breaking of tables is based at least partly on number of empty seats (knocking out 2 or 3 players at once appears to move you to the top of the list) hence my comment that it isn't predictible in advance. I think I might have read something a long time ago on the UB site that explains their procedure (although I might be confusing this with an explanation of how they determine who goes where when a table gets broken).
Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Oh yeah...posted out of my own head.

I'm entirely certain tables break as eliminations occur.

Playing the 45s or late game anything explains that. When someone is eliminated, that table is busted and split around.

Ironically I find I do 10-20x better in MTT when my tables don't bust for 3-4 hours. Kinda sad....