Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 AM

Default The Well: 23act

yo,

a couple of my ssnl ballas asked me to do this thread. seems like it will be a ton of fun so shoot away...

"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Saturday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Saturday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Saturday, it’s your day in the well .

You may ask me any question about whatever you like. I will answer to the best of my abilities if I choose to answer your question."
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: The Well: 23act

story and graph/PTSS plz?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 AM

Hello 23act,

As the balla that I know you are I was wondering if you could help me with some things.

1) When you were first starting out, and when you lost a couple grand, what kept you going? I'm talking especially at that point where you were about to break even but was pushed back down for some or other reason.

2) What advice do you have for struggling micro stakes poker players hoping to become the next aba20?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
story and graph/PTSS plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

somehow I got my hands on a video of green plastic killing some dude at high stakes heads up while studying for a big board exam last year april. i was intrigued, and ended up finding out everything i could about poker instead of studying.

after find 2p2 and reading a ton of posts i came to the conclusion that poker was skill. i was hooked.

after learning what beats what, i deposited 100usd at a local South African site and lost it immediately. I then depoed 200usd at pokerstars and lost that over a week [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

i remember being so frustrated and promising myself i'd never gamble in my life again. i felt really pathetic since my parents are huge roulette fiends and i had promised myself i wouldn't be gambler as a kid growing up.

somehow i then managed to hook up a free 50usd from party poker. i luckboxed that for a bit up to 200usd. my confidence in poker being a skill was renewed. i made a commitment to get really really good, paid for pokertracker and a cardrunners membership and i was on my way...

i spent june, july and august learning the game (basically break even/loosing ) and clearing bonuses. that helped me build my roll a ton.

I really believed that I could make serious money playing poker after making 10k at the prima 200NL during november last year.

im currently playing 5/10 at party and ftp.

i still have a 9-5 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i withdrew my entire roll at the beginning of decemeber to clear a ton of debt (student loan, new motorbike and car [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). at the beg. of jan i deposited 3k and started at 100nl - here is a graph since then:

Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 AM

How much do you think the cardrunner subscription helped your game? I'm a decent winning player at 1/2 but have some holes in my game and am looking to get better.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello 23act,

As the balla that I know you are I was wondering if you could help me with some things.

1) When you were first starting out, and when you lost a couple grand, what kept you going? I'm talking especially at that point where you were about to break even but was pushed back down for some or other reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

ego - i kinda refuse to give up at anything [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
i'd see people posting 50k months and like WTF i know im smarter than these guys so obv i can do it do...

i remember a few really really bad nights where i decimated my roll. it was tough. i wish someone had told me to stop playing for the night after you loose 5 buyins - that would have saved me a lot of money.

after those days i ended up taking a few days break from poker and resuming at much lower stakes. it wasn't fun but i wasn't about to give up

[ QUOTE ]
2) What advice do you have for struggling micro stakes poker players hoping to become the next aba20?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about every action in a hand. Are you betting to be called by a worse hand? Are you betting to fold out a better hand? Will this person ever fold to a semi-bluff? Am I c/r to trap dead money in the pot? Am I c/r because they will all come along for the ride? etc etc.

I see so many people who just play robotic poker without thinking about what they are actually doing.

Play as few tables as you need to so that you have the time to think through every action

Sometimes you are not going to have a clue on what action to take. Post those hands on 2p2 - there are always a ton of people willing to help
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 AM

Nice avatar, are you into Porsches?

Also, do you have any "moves" you like to pull on vanilla TAGs?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you think the cardrunner subscription helped your game? I'm a decent winning player at 1/2 but have some holes in my game and am looking to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was crucial to my development as a player in sooo many ways.

just hearing winning players narrate their thoughts is pretty insane - you get to discover where your thinking is different AND you can formulate ways to abuse their tendencies [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM

Having just moved up to $400nl again on Party, I feel like the game is pretty similar but I feel like I'm being played back at a bit more than I'm used to. Did you feel like this was the case when you moved up? How did you adjust?

Also, how often do 3 bet or float when faced with a checkraise of somebody you know is capable of doing it with a wider range than just big hands (aka most players these days)? Can you give some specific situations?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM

Hi 23act you are the bomb!!!

i cruisedd through micro stakes playing solid poker and just playing mah hands trapping donks etc and it all worked out
Now im stuck at 200NL and have just started using game theory and balancing my 3 betting and C-bets and C/R etc. In summary is this the only way to beat opponents who dont give a cent away? and besides needling them mercilessly whilst they are on tilt ! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]