Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Best way to play this set?

It seemed standard to me at the time, but sometimes I have to double check with y'all.

Party 1/2 6-max

UTG ($294) limps, MP folds, CO ($192) calls, Hero ($257) has 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raises to $9 on the button. SB ($192) calls, BB ($328) calls. UTG and CO fold.

Flop 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($31)
Checks to Hero who bets $25, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($81)
SB bets $45, Hero pushes?

I consider SB to a be a good player, TAGish but sees more flops than most TAGS. The rest of this table is rockish, the UTG limp and CO call was an abberration.

The only wrinkle in this hand is where SB leads about half the pot on the turn. I feel he probably re-raises pre-flop with JJ, so 1010 is the only one that beats me, but he'll pay me off with J10. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Best way to play this set?

I can't see how you can be behind in this hand. I guess over sets could be there but he's got to pop it and try to move you with that flop. I push. I think he has top two maybe A10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or KQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

FYI, I'm a newbie to NL

Best of Luck
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM

standard
Old 02-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Looks good

I dunno about preflop though. And I mean that literally, I really don't know. What are you guy's thoughts on raising limpers with low pp's? I'm pretty sure limping and raising are both +EV, but what kind of opponents do you need to be against to make raising preflop the best play?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:37 PM

i like calling his 1/2 pot bet into the board. He is OOP on the river and doesnt have enough information to make a good decision. I think I should be able to bet for value there.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 PM

Push.

If he has TJ, he's paying you off no matter what. if he has a draw, get the money in now.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Two reasons I raise this hand pflop.

1. Deception.
2. To take control of the hand. In this specific situation, the limpers at this table rarely limped. Action was usually opened by a raise. I saw their limps as a sign of weakness, and thought if I do get in a pot with these them and face cards flop, I'll take down the pot most of the time.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Make it 12 preflop or just limp.

His play certainly looks like a stop and go with TPGK/TPTK (maybe even AT). He will have 110 left after his bet so if you min-raise turn it will have the same effect as a push in his eyes so I think its OK.

I would concider just calling the turn bet (not at all my standard play with set) though even if the board are draw heavy because I dont think he is drawing, maybe you double through him that way if the river blanks because he think his hand is good.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Funny you should ask... This is my favorite hand for a few reasons. I think about the only place you want to pop a raise p/f with this is on the button. Especially with limpers. You will probabl get a few callers, which you want, and if someone if fooling with a much higher pair, it is an easy hand to lay down. However, once the flop came out, I would pop to 30 or 35. Make it look like you are on the draw, and then push the turn all-in. I like your play (as long as your "hero pushes?" was a fact).
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($81)
SB bets $45, Hero pushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. This screams a donk/blocking bet with flush and/or straight draw, wants to play good pot control, I dont think you ever see an overset here, if it happens, hey you got 1 out to quads, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]