Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:20 AM

Default $1075 CEO Poker Tour Event 5: Flop a flush

Early in Event 5, table is playing strangely - seemingly it doesn't matter what the preflop bet is there are usually 4+ people in the pot, Im usually in there in LP with lots of random stuff.

I have about 8.5k - 9k, villain covers. Villain appears to be wearing a WSOP braclet, he looks a little familiar but not sure who he is.

Its early so not much information on him. He has been limping into a lot of pots and hasn't folded to any raise once he limped regardless of size even though OOP. Only one other pot with him. Limp in EP, He limps MP, I raise from BB with AQo to 275 (25/50). Both call. Flop J53, 2 clubs. I bet 600, first guy folds, he calls. Turn J. Check, check. River 2 (no club). Check, he bets 1500, I fold.

Blinds 25/50

I limp in LP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Villain is in BB.
6 people see the flop.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me, last to act. Pot 300.

I bet 325, folds to BB who calls, everyone else folds.

Turn 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 800, BB makes it 2200.

So whats my plan here? - Call/Raise/Fold?
If you call whats you plan for the river depending on cards?

Advice appreciated (on either hand).
Old 07-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: $1075 CEO Poker Tour Event 5: Flop a flush

You could have considered a two barrel on hand 1, but I don't necessarily object to the way you played it either.

I mean the problem with the flopped flush is that you can't improve. You're either well ahead to a hand like K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], crushing a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], well in the lead vs. a hand like T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or even A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Of course, if someone has something ridiculous like 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you're drawing dead.

I'm presuming the guy check-raised the turn? I might just shove here. There's a general theory that the person wearing the WSOP bracelet sucks much more than the people who have won them but don't.

We can't possibly smooth call, and I don't see how to fold.

Baby flushes can be terrifying.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 PM

I think i like a call better than a shove here and hope for a safe card on the river and see what he does being that ur in position... if you were OOP here i'd say shove but because you're in position it gives you the advantage of re-analyzing the hand on the river
Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think i like a call better than a shove here and hope for a safe card on the river and see what he does being that ur in position... if you were OOP here i'd say shove but because you're in position it gives you the advantage of re-analyzing the hand on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

True, the thing is, if we shove, it's a mistake for him to call even with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or a set.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Yes turn was a check raise.

What does he put me on here?
I guess I could be bluffing since I was last to act post-flop, although betting into 5 players with nothing on that board seems pretty bold so he has to think I have at least top pair and probably more.

When I double barrell, he could still easily just put me on any of these hands still since obv. I have to bet to stop him drawing to a flush/straight if that is the hand he has.

It doesnt seem likely that he has a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kx/Qx since he probably doesnt want to play that from BB in a 6 way limped pot and I would expect a big preflop raise.

Since he is in the BB, he could feasibly have anything from 2 pair combinations, straight (more likely J9 than AJ), I suppose TT is possible but QQ/KK again seems unlikely due to preflop. He could also have already flopped the flush and although there arent too many combinations smaller than mine (54,52,42) he could easily have this in BB. I also wondered here if I shove whether I can get him to lay down some hands better than mine, the board isnt dangerous enough to probably but obv. he has to weight my range more to high flushes (inc. the nut flush) if I shove. Especially since I havent shown down any hands like this so far unless I started in the blinds.

In terms of bracelet holders wearing bracelets being bad (I saw the post too), it may be true. However, from hands that occurred later on (this is unfair info really [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) I have reason to suspect he is a pretty good player and not just some guy or donked through a random field but winning 5050 after 5050.

I really cant decide what the best course is here and I definately think a case could be made for any one of them.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 PM

I might be nuts but I like a call in hand 1. I reposted the hand in a stand alone thread.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Hand 1 : This is a call for me , insta call just to make sure he don`t try that again. ( Then he shows me A4 )

Hand 2: Call doesn`t really come into it, I shove esp if its the same bloke.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM

I like a call with the 63s. I doubt he takes this line with a worst hand and calls a shove. call and check pretty much every river, and make a decision
Old 07-09-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Ok time to move this hand forward.

I agonised over my decision for quite a long time and eventually made the call. Since I am an unknown to him, I would imagine that he doesn't think my hand is as strong as a flush now. I think many weak players just snap call or shove without taking any time to think about their decision here and what they are hoping to achieve.

Really in my mind I want to see a cheap showdown now.

The River is the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and he checks.

Obviously the easy answer to what I do now is to check and see the showdown.

But what I want to know now is can I:

a) Bet and get anything worse to call?
b) Bet and get anything better to fold?
Clearly Im suggesting different bet sizes for these.

Pot is about 5300. I have about 6300 - 6800 mark.

I think his check indicates that he could have an A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/X hand (where X is a pair) although he probably wouldn't play the turn so aggressively oop. If he had 2 pair or a set and filled up I would expect him to bet. He could have QT or a straight, although many players would bet or raise flop here. Given this, his most likely hand looks like a flush or perhaps a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/J but some of the others are definately potentially within his range but much less likely imo.

As Im thinking, he now says "The longer you think the more you are worrying me" or words to that affect.