Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:03 AM

Default What were/are your leaks?

For the past few months I've been focusing on a couple of leaks in my game. I'd like to work on more but I don't know where to start. What was something that you had to work on, or are currently trying to plug?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: What were/are your leaks?

Just a few of the bigger leaks I've seen and/or experienced over the years:

1) Playing too many hands.
2) Tilting.
3) Bluffing/Semibluffing against calling stations.
4) Trying to out-maniac a maniac.
5) Not extracting full value from your strong hands.
6) Calling down too often when beat.
7) Not adjusting to opponents/table conditions.
8) Playing too passively on drawy boards.
9) Slowplaying too often/in bad situations.
10) Taking AK or other big starting hands too far postflop when you're probably beat.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 AM

Overestimating implied odds. It seems that as soon as people learn this concept, they start making a ton of bad calls.This goes for both pre-flop and post-flop. Don't call a pre-flop raise w/ 54s thinking your going to hit the straight flush and stack villain.

Bluffing too much. In micro limits bluffing should be a very very small part of your range. Villain's call to much. Learn to value bet properly.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 AM

1) Lack of skill
2) Not sucking out enough
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 AM

Overplaying big pocket pairs.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5) Not extracting full value from your strong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my main one that I'm trying to take care of now. Too often I'll build a pot that by the river is roughly equal to my remaining stack (usually only 5 or 6 bucks since I play 10NL) and try to get called on an all-in. I think this is typically costing me 2/3 bucks that they would have called. Do that just twice over a hundred hands and you're down 10+PTBB/100. I feel that it's one of the major things that's been holding down my winrate.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT

This was a huge leak of mine. Overplayed KK and QQ too much. Example: if you raise big PF w/ these and get called and then an A hits the flop and someone leads into you, you've got to be able to fold if you think you're beat. I used to let the PF excitement carry through to the flop (which is actually a form of tilt), but now I have to remember that I am only holding 2nd pair, same as if I'm holding one Kx and there's an invisible K on the board, which doesn't look as exciting as the pocket pair and I've only got 2 outs. So proceed with caution from there.

Another leak of mine was playing way too many suited hands. I wouldn't necessarily play any two suited like Q2s or something crazy like that, but stuff like J7s and K9s. I believe your PF equity only increases by about 3% with suited hands over the same non-suited hand, so if you wouldn't play it unsuited, don't play it.

TP/TK was also a huge leak for me, especially in micro-stakes where you see a lot of players hitting weird 2 pairs, so don't try to play it like it's the nuts when you get major resistance.

And for tournament play, when you are getting short stacked, try not to get it all in with hands that will be dominated. I'd much rather go AI PF w/ T9 than with KQ which is dominated by hands that are going to call you like AK and AQ.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was a huge leak of mine. Overplayed KK and QQ too much. Example: if you raise big PF w/ these

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldnt be raising big just the standard 4xbb +1bb per limper.

Mine are:
1) Tilt
2) Knowing i am beat but still calling
3) Tilt
4) Value betting
5) Tilt
6) Lack agression
7) Tilt
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was a huge leak of mine. Overplayed KK and QQ too much. Example: if you raise big PF w/ these

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Teddie, I should have stated that better. What I meant by big was that PF raises typically are between 2.5 to 5 times the BB (and should be +1 per limper). So I'm assuming that big pocket pairs are being raised 'big' or at least 4BB + 1/limper.

Of couse if you raise less than this, such as 2.5-3BB, you are going to be called by more than just premium hands. If you do raise more than this as you should with a high PP you have to watch out for the scenario I discribed more often when you do get callers.

My main point is to not get too attached to these hands post flop so much that you willing to risk your stack on one pair when your reads should tell you you're beat. A lot of begginers tend to get attached to a hand that 'should win.'
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Not trying to put my opponents on hands 100% of the time