Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Hackintosh - Mac OSX on a PC

So many of you probably remember last year that Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel processors. Obviously, code had to be rewritten to accomodate the new hardware. As a result, the OSX86 Project was born. The project basically shows how one could install OSX on common x86 PC hardware. The amount of supported hardware is quite impressive.

The main page http://osx86project.org consists of two sides, the Wiki, that is basically just overview information, and does not contain anything that could violate the DMCA, and the InsanelyMac forum, which is where you'll find walkthroughs, guides, and FAQs all about how to actually do the installs.

I was curious, so I gave it a go. I'm posting this from my Dell XPS M1210 Hackintosh running OSX 10.4.8.

Here's a picture.

Wasn't too hard to get it all up and running, and now i'm dual booting OSX and windows XP. The only things i was unable to get working were the integrated webcam and the sleep function (but it boots up in literally 30 seconds, so who cares).

Pretty fun, all around. I've got it running both ilife & iwork, office 2k4, photoshop cs3, [censored], itunes, and all the other normal Mac apps.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Hackintosh - Mac OSX on a PC

omg sweet i can't believe this is actually usable. last i read about it was probably a year ago when it first got going. i'll have to try this.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM

Christ I still hate the mac interface. I was playing around with my father-in-law's macbook that I picked up from the shop for him, and I couldn't even figure out how to cut and paste. Is it SO HARD to make ctrl+c and ctrl+v work LIKE THE REST OF THE FRIGGING WORLD mmmk?

Having said that, I probably need to learn how to use a mac someday. Blech. I should probably play with this.

Good thread, btw.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM

sweet
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 AM

You can't learn cut and paste? Damn, if that's how retard you are, where you playing live next???
Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 AM

CTRL+C DID NOT WORK MORAN I DON"T UNDERSTAND YOUR CRAZY MOONSPEAK
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing around with my father-in-law's macbook that I picked up from the shop for him, and I couldn't even figure out how to cut and paste. Is it SO HARD to make ctrl+c and ctrl+v work LIKE THE REST OF THE FRIGGING WORLD mmmk?

[/ QUOTE ]

assume that everything you would do with control you instead do with the Command button.

Or just use preferences to switch the two and it's pretty much the same =/

Up until a year ago I had basically never touched a Mac. My dad got one and I had refused to fix it.

They put out the iMac's with the core2duos, and I bought one for my wife. I think I liked it more than she did. I initially thought that my next laptop would be a Mac, since you can now dual-boot windows. When I saw the OSX86 Project, I decided instead that my next laptop would be need to be fully OSX compatible PC and I'd save $500-1k on the hardware.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 AM

how long would it take a non-techie, but someone reasonably comfortable w/ PC's, to get this working?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how long would it take a non-techie, but someone reasonably comfortable w/ PC's, to get this working?

[/ QUOTE ]

it really depends on your hardware. Here is the hardware comptability list

I'd say that if you search the insanelymac forums and find howtwos for most of your components, it really would only take a few days of casual tinkering.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 AM

man, it would be awesome to run windows on a dell notebook via OSx86 and parallels desktop.