Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Default How can I extract the max value here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t80, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t190) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t130</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t260</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??? </font>,

No reads. First hand.

How can I extract the max value here?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: How can I extract the max value here?

What's the buy-in? If it's fairly low, I'd probably just shove and expect to be called by all kinds of junk.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 PM

30+3 the buyin.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 AM

I have a tough time with these situations so i was hoping to see more replies. i'll put in my 2c and see if anyone disagrees.

After the flop you're probably ahead 90/10. Just calling his raise doesn't give him any more info. He may not think you're strong and be more willing to add to the pot. But that really opens you up to a lot of draws. If another diamond or Q/J/T hits i'd probably kick myself. There's enough in the pot that any real turn bet basically puts you in. You'd probably still be ahead (?) and you have some outs to the boat but it won't feel good thinking you might go out the first hand.

I'd reraise flop AI thinking i was protecting my hand. But last time I slowplayed top set I got beat so maybe i'm just paranoid. I agree that this early many would call a flop shove with Ax/others.

That being said, i don't think his small raise shows strength. I think he doesn't have an A and wonders if his K is any good. If you reraise he's done. If he had a draw, with position he'd probably just call and see another card.

Since you asked about value, did you push and he folded? It's possible he didn't have a diamond or a K and nothing you could have done would get him to put anything else into the pot. You might have gotten all the value possible. His pf call could have been loose and his raise was just testing your cbet while it was cheap.

Hopefully someone with more experience has an opinion.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:40 AM

I wouldnt just call, because a free card isnt worth it for you. I would raise to about 500, just becuase its basically a min raise and if hes got nothing he may just call in fear of looking weak.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 AM

sometimes i make it 600ish but most of the time i call and jam the turn over his bet.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 AM

Well lets see his min raise could mean he has a hand which he prob only gives up if some scare cards hit, or hes doing it for info, or hes on a draw. All of these scenarios would lead toward raising in this spot, you dont wanna let him draw cheaply, if hes doing it for info and u call and lead the turn hes likely to fold anywayz or if he has a hand youll get it in now. I raise to like 600-700
Old 07-08-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes i make it 600ish but most of the time i call and jam the turn over his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I do either one of these depending on how I feel/what I think villain will most likely stack off against.