Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:42 AM

Default 25NL - AA with big draws vs. passive player

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

Hero (SB): $37.67
BB: $26.71
UTG: $23.25
MP: $48.92
CO: $49.98
BTN: $26.38

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain is at 23/1/0.5 (semi-loose/passive)</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, CO calls $0.25, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $1.00

Flop: ($3) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.25</font>, CO calls $2.25

Turn: ($7.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5.50</font>, CO calls $5.50

River: ($18.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $11.00</font>, <font color="red">CO raises all-in to $40.98</font>, Hero calls all-in for $17.67
Uncalled bet of $12.31 returned to CO
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $75.84 ($3 Rake)

Did I botch this one up? Do passive players like this villain call down because they have a good hand and don't like betting? Or because they like call down light? The raise on river raises alarm bells so maybe a check/call on the river is in order.

This hand has me baffled, did I over play this even in light of the redraws?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: 25NL - AA with big draws vs. passive player

fold river, raise to $1.50-$1.75 preflop, the rest is fine.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:52 AM

I might just check-call river here, even against a loose-passive guy like this. You really can't call his river raise when you lead like this.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 AM

If you think your hand might be good, I'd c/call river b/c if you play the way you did, your odds are too good to fold to the shove. If he open shoves, you can fold and if he makes a smaller bet you can call. Also, villain might take a swing at the pot w/ a KxQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] type hand that you can snap off.

You only have one pair here and the flop was not too good for you, though you did have many draws. I think flop and turn are both good, but once you are left with one pair, I either c/call or c/fold. Vs this guy, I probably c/fold.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 AM

Okay because we are so deep I am not pot committed on the river? When he raises I am certainly know I am beat but just can't fold it. Maybe this a big leak, especially against uber passive players.

Are there equal merits for a bet out on river against a check/call? Now that I am thinking about it, he may even check behind on the river with a hand that has me crushed.

I am not sure if a bet is good because villain has kind of established his hand by calling big bets on the flop and turn. Or is this what these types of players do? I am trying to distinguish if passive players call lots when they have a hand or not.

Any help on this would be great. I am still a little confused playing against this type of opponent.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only have one pair here and the flop was not too good for you, though you did have many draws. I think flop and turn are both good, but once you are left with one pair, I either c/call or c/fold. Vs this guy, I probably c/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much. But can we learn anything about his calls on flop and turn? Does this represent strength from this type of player or do we only know that he has a big hand when he RAISES? Basically, does this type of player call down STRONG or WEAK? Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:00 AM

oop sucks
Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much. But can we learn anything about his calls on flop and turn? Does this represent strength from this type of player or do we only know that he has a big hand when he RAISES? Basically, does this type of player call down STRONG or WEAK? Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]both but even passive players usually raise before the river when they have a &gt;1 pair hand.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my thoughts:

You know two things; that he is tight and that he is passive.

Tightness deals with the type of hands he has. He is not calling pf and on the flop with Q7o or 33 like a loose passive might. He calls on this very scary flop. You have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so he doesn't have the naked A draw. He could have a made flush, AQ, Q9 maybe, the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and another pair for pair + FD, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. or a broadway 2pair or pair+draw hand. This is why the flop sucks for you, it hits his tight range so hard. Good thing you have outs!

Unfortunately, you semibluff your hand on the flop and turn and are called after you miss. Since he is passive; he just calls instead of say, semibluff raising you on the turn with a pair+draw or a baby flush. He will just call and see what cards come.

Now on the river, you have one pair and villain still has the same range as before, but this time he isn't afraid of a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] coming b/c all the cards are out. So his baby flush is good and his straight or 2p or set isn't as afraid now.

Now you should c/call or c/fold for the reasons I gave in my first post.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]both but even passive players usually raise before the river when they have a &gt;1 pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here passives are scared of the 4th [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]; instead of betting to protect their vulnerable hand, they call and hope to dodge the club.