Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 AM

Default WSOP PLO8 hand

WSOP Event #42 $1500 PLO8 -- Level 10 -- Blinds 800/1600
There were 8 or 9 tables left, and 7 tables paid.

I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB, unsuited. Action folds around to SB who raises to 4500. SB has been playing tight-solid and has been working a line about how he's really a limit holdem player who entered the event out of boredom. I'm not really buying it, but he is playing starting quality hands.

Anyway:

Villain (SB) 13000 in chips -- raises to 4500
Hero (BB) 30000 in chips -- calls 4500

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain -- moves all-in
Hero ...

[I worked it out in my mind on the spot and figured that I was a 60/40 dog at worst against his range of hands and often times am ahead. I dismissed the idea that he flopped a set. Twodimes says that I was 38% against a FD/LD. So do you call? Also, do you reraise preflop or call with position?]
Old 07-07-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: WSOP PLO8 hand

HU with position and an unsuited Ace I probably just peel and see...HOWEVER in this spot, I think the villian is too short not to put him all in...If you just call and see a flop there is 9000 in the pot and he only has 8500 behind...
You call and see a flop he is gonna pretty much autopush on any flop and are you ever going to be more than a 2:1 dog on any flop? MOST LIKELY, no, there are situations but MOST flops you'll be less than a 2:1 dog (or a favorite)...

With the way the hand played out, mathematically it is a correct call...However it's also gonna be hella high variance because I'm pretty sure we can read this guy for A2xx with spades, probably A high spades...

Fold now you have 25.5K left, call and lose you have 17K left, call and hold you have 43K, call and chop you have 30K again...Looking at the worst case scenario: Is there really a difference between 25.5K and 17K?? That would depend on table dynamics, could you steal your way back up to 25.5K from 17K? That I don't know...

Also are you playing to win or playing to cash...If you are playing to cash I would say muck it quickly...
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 AM

SB is probably stealing, I would put him all-in preflop without a 2nd thought.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM

reraise preflop
Old 07-07-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored] no, this hand is mediocre at best, not even suited
Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM

FWIW, I was playing to win (top 3). I was playing well, and if I were to catch a run of cards it was within reach. I half expected the field to be better players or somehow intimidating. They weren't, and they didn't. (2p2ers OWN PLO8. Although I am a mediocre player by the standards of this board, I am a superior player to most PLO8 lineups I saw live at WSOP. So, many thanks.)

There was no way I was folding this hand. The question preflop is call or push. I reasoned that villain would likely autopush anyway on the flop and with position I wanted the latitude to make a decision. And I thought that my fold equity was nil -- he was pot committed IMO.

This was about the worst sucker flop I could see with this hand. I can get away from this hand if I don't flop 2 pair with the aces. They way the hand played out, I think the money was going in either way. (Right?)

This was my key hand. I started to steal back but it was hard because (for an hour after this hand) when I was in the cutoff Devilfish and Chau Giang were the blinds. I know that this probably shouldn't matter, but they were playing back at everyone. And there was a lot of PFRing going on in front of me by holdem pros -- very little room to make moves.

And I did cash. Playing to cash was never a consideration -- I knew that even if I lost the hand I was highly likely to cash.

Villain did have A2 spades, and he did catch a low spade. It sucked, and it was high variance, and my EV=.382, but I don't see any other way than to call. Can anyone use numbers to criticize this logic?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reraise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored] no, this hand is mediocre at best, not even suited

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares.. you're not a dog to virtually any hand.. the guy is pushing every flop.. just get the chips in. You need something better than AA6 to get a short stack in?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:00 AM

Its hard to imagine a fold being correct on this flop. If villain is anything other than super weak tight he is probably pushing as little as A2xx and is probably super happy to be pushing something like A2TT or A2Jx (id be thrilled to have as much as A2Jx HU on this flop).

Like others have said, its hard for you to hit a flop on which it will be correct to fold. Given that he made a preflop raise and is able to cont bet all in, is there really a flop where you feel confident that youre worse than 33% vs his range? So the stack sizes are one reason you should put him in preflop.

THe other reason is that you have a hand that plays very well hot/cold, but doesnt play spectacularly post flop (its not one of those hands that you will either hit or miss, and its not likely to give you the nuts or a draw to the nuts).
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is playing starting quality hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have folded your hand pre-flop and waited for a better spot.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 AM

Those advocating any other than a pre-flop push are either 1) joking 2) wrong. This is really a very simple hand. Pushing pre-flop is the simplest solution. But given you just called pre-flop, calling all-in on the flop is standard. You have at least 33% equity against his range of hands. More than likely you are a slight favorite to around 50/50. Bottom line, you're playing ultra short stacked PLO8. With this structure, big edges pre-flop or on the flop are rare. You're going to have to gamble. So either re-pot pre-flop when you are a slight favorite or take the overlay that is being offered on the flop. Both options are +EV.