Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Default PS $22+1rb+1ao Final Table, 88 in BB

From the PS $22+1 rebuy+1 add-on.

4-handed. UTG has been aggro, mostly though by restealing from hyper-aggro SB, but has also opened quite a bit.

1st pays about 3.5k, 4th 1.1k. Squeezing up the pay ladder doesn't mean much, I'm just looking to make the most +EV play.

edit. btw shortstack is somewhat known MTT'r 1bigacehole if that makes a difference.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t10000 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t280253)
Button (t164717)
SB (t379486)
Hero (t319044)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t30000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: PS $22+1rb+1ao Final Table, 88 in BB

rse to 125k, fold to shove
Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM

If you raise to 125k here you're giving yourself like 2.5:1 to call a shove, you don't villain holds AK-AJ here enough here that calling a shove is correct? I think if you're going to raise to 125k here calling a shove is pretty close.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 AM

Ok so I took some time and thought about this hand some more.

I think these are my best options, in this order:

1. Call- We're still relatively deep at this point of the FT. I have 32bb's and UTG has 28 bb's so calling this raise and having to fold an unfavorable flop won't really hurt me.
However, more importantly, if I re-raise to 100k-120k and UTG pushes, I will be priced into calling even vs. a TT+, AKo, AQs+ range, and obv I'm not liking it. Even though moving up the pay ladder doesn't mean much moneywise to me in this case, I think something needs to be said for not putting myself in a situtation like that at this stage of the tournament where end-game variance is huge.

2. Re-raising to 100k-120k and calling a push- I'd prefer to take it down preflop but I'll be priced into calling so hopefully I'll be up vs. AQ-AK and win the flip. I'm not liking it though.

3. Re-raising all-in- I'm only get called by higher pairs and AK, maybe AQ so this is similar to option 2.

4. Re-raising to 100k-120k and folding to a push- I think this is bad. If UTG pushes w/ AK-AQ (which I think he would) I'm making a pretty bad fold, and if he got a bigger pair I'm not giving myself the chance to flop a set and stack him.

5. Fold- Way to weak-tight 4-handed.

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Calling is probably best.. The only problem I have is if it's too weak-tight to fold pf then you certainly can't just c/f any time you don't flop a set right?

You could also reraise to 180ish pf which sends the message that you've committed yourself without what could be a weak looking overbet shove.. this might be inconsequential but just a thought.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM

6. Call and lead to 60000 on any flop, lol, fold to a push though
Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 PM

i like a mixture of 50% calls 50% raises depending on style of raiser and his perception of me. if guy is raising alot ill pop him here
Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6. Call and lead to 60000 on any flop, lol, fold to a push though

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

It took me a few seconds after seeing the post to realize that I was actually the villain in this hand.

There is about 70k in the pot after you call the raise. Winning that right now is about a 25% addition to your stack which is significant. Plus, I am opening with a ton of hands at this point. I was in the mode of trying to steal on your blind and Acehole's blind and sometimes resteal the other aggro. So given this, my opening range is large enough where I may only call a pf allin about 15-20% of the time which makes a shoove +chipEV and probably +EV. I don't have pokerstove or anything but that may be useful to see if shove is correct. Try A2+, 22+, K2s+, K9+, Q8s+, Q9+, J7s+, J9+, any suited connecter or one gapper, T9, 89, and 87 as my open hands. 88+ and AQ+ as a call reraise hands.

Calling may be OK as well, but the pot is already juicy to win so just try and win it there. Plus, that can be a tricky hand to play OOP against a somewhat reasonable player. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only problem I have is if it's too weak-tight to fold pf then you certainly can't just c/f any time you don't flop a set right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. But I'm not folding everytime I don't flop a a set. What I said was:

[ QUOTE ]
having to fold an unfavorable flop...

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of non-set flop I'll either lead, c/r, or c/c.

Alwardc4, I agree with what you said as well. As a matter of fact, at the time I didn't really like any of my options, and since my timebank was down to 5 secs. and I didn't have time to think it over, I just decided to go with the ol' KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory and just stuck it in. In hindsight though, and trying not to be result-oriented, I still think calling is the rigth play for the reasons I stated above. FWIW, when it got down to 4-5 handed this was on of the tougher FT's I had recently played and had a hard time finding good spots. Kept getting dealt absolute trash, but probably should've restole more from the aggro guy on my right. However, I did resteal from him earlier (when 7-handed) if you remember, and I lucksacked my Q10&gt;KQ, so I felt he would be calling me pretty light.