Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Video / DVD / MP3 Players at the table

What do you guys think about people bringing Small handheld machines to the table to pass the time by, often seen alot as people with MP3 player's, i have yet to see a final table with someone using one but i think it may only be a matter of time, i'm actually thinking of buying an Archos 504 to just sit in the card room and grind some cash out. Are you guys for or against? On one side of the coin it means that player's aren't paying attention to the game, however it may mean that they show more patience through out games, especially tournaments..

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Video / DVD / MP3 Players at the table

I think that using something like an iPod could be beneficial. Music is going to be very soothing and I listen to music when I am playing online and I feel it helps me stay patient by keeping my semi occupied when the cards are slow.

I think that video or dvd players would be ridiculous. No point in sitting at a card room to watch a movie.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about people bringing Small handheld machines to the table to pass the time by, often seen alot as people with MP3 player's, i have yet to see a final table with someone using one but i think it may only be a matter of time, i'm actually thinking of buying an Archos 504 to just sit in the card room and grind some cash out. Are you guys for or against?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not friendly to the other players, and it can be very distracting.

In one weekend, I watched people at my table make more than $10,000 worth of mistakes by being distracted. One was listening to an MP3 player, and didn't hear another player tell the rest of the table that he wanted to get out of the $5000 buy-in tournament to go play high stakes blackjack, I think for $2000/hand. So, he didn't make a big call that would have gotten most of that player's chips.

If distraction is what you need to stay sane and keep playing, go ahead, but it will cut down on your hourly rate and how much you learn while playing.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM

does anyone know if they allow it in any WPT / WSOP events?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about people bringing Small handheld machines to the table to pass the time by, often seen alot as people with MP3 player's, i have yet to see a final table with someone using one but i think it may only be a matter of time, i'm actually thinking of buying an Archos 504 to just sit in the card room and grind some cash out. Are you guys for or against?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not friendly to the other players, and it can be very distracting.

In one weekend, I watched people at my table make more than $10,000 worth of mistakes by being distracted. One was listening to an MP3 player, and didn't hear another player tell the rest of the table that he wanted to get out of the $5000 buy-in tournament to go play high stakes blackjack, I think for $2000/hand. So, he didn't make a big call that would have gotten most of that player's chips.

If distraction is what you need to stay sane and keep playing, go ahead, but it will cut down on your hourly rate and how much you learn while playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize that you can just listen to music in one ear, right? It's especially easy with the ipod ear buds. There's no reason that you can't listen to music while still keeping up with what is being said at the table.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm completely deaf in one ear so i would either be 'with music' or without [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]