Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Favorite Unintentionally Funny Movies

I'm not really talking about obvious camp movies like Plan Nine from Outer Space. I'm thinking more about serious movies, that some people actually liked, that you thought were hysterical in their badness. These are movies that have great repeat viewing value, but not for the reasons the filmmakers intended. A few of my favorites:

"Stayin Alive"

the most hilarious part of this movie is the dance musical at the end, "Satan's Alley". It's billed as a musical trip through hell. And it is, at least for the audience. Also, the gayest thing I've ever seen. So funny. I also love the play's director in this movie, who looks like Kenny Loggins and always wears riding boots and a reindeer sweater for some unknown reason.

"Cocktail"

Best part of this movie is how they portray a TGIF restaurant as the most swinging night spot in Manhattan. Also love the movie's cheezetastic tag line "When he pours, he reigns", as well as the way Tom's voice gets all high and puberty-like when he yells "The bar is open!" at the very end.

St. Elmo's Fire

Probably the funniest yuppie movie ever made. Jules' (Demi Moore) apartment alone makes this worth watching. Why is she sitting in an empty pink room with billowing curtains and a clown? Other great moment: When Billy (Rob Lowe) yells, "Let's Rock!" as he launches into another horrible sax solo. Also had the lamest ending to a love triangle in movie history: Ally Sheedy: "I just want us all to be friends." Judd Nelson and Andrew McCarthy: "Ehhhhh.... ok."

"Sleeping With the Enemy"

Patrick Bergen gives one of the best over-the-top performances of all time in this movie. I love it how he tracks down his wife, sneaks into her house - and then takes the time to rearrange the pantry. He sure is a neat freak. Or maybe he's got OCD. I also love Julia Roberts' caveman-like love interest (Kevin Anderson) in this movie. Perhaps the hairiest leading man I've ever seen.

Any other nominations for the Unintentionally Funny Hall of Fame?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Favorite Unintentionally Funny Movies

It's has to be, positively, absolutely, completely, utterly:

SHOWGIRLS

With its ludicrously serious "watch me act intense" leading lady, ridiculous mood changes and situations, insertion of supremely coarse dialogue is supposedly tender moments, and the whole ghastly mess is entertainment Grade A+

Props also to a recent one I've seen and greatly enjoyed for its ludicrous acting and script: Survival Island.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Twister

"He's not in it for the science, he's in it for the money."

LOL physicsaments

And Bill Paxton delivers perhaps the worst, most hilarious monologue in the history of cinema as he tries to bring back Helen Hunt from crazy.

"C'mon Jo! You got your whole life ahead of you Jo!" etc.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM

My wife and I went to see Cocktail when it came out, solely because our air conditioning wasn't working and it was extremely hot at the time.

It was truly awful. And it amazes me that this movie seems to get shown on tv not that infrequently.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM

^for real? I thought MDB was really really good.

Umm some that I put high on my "unintentionally funny" list are The Ring and something I just saw recently, Smokin' Aces, which was amusing for its ridiculous plot holes.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM

I'd love to say Snakes on a Plane, but they definitely knew it was a silly movie in the way it was put together, so it drops the ball on unintentional.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
^for real? I thought MDB was really really good.

Umm some that I put high on my "unintentionally funny" list are The Ring and something I just saw recently, Smokin' Aces, which was amusing for its ridiculous plot holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, was Smokin' Aces good? I forgot about this movie. I thought by the previews it would be a can't miss.

Oh, and for my movie it has to be Vertical Limit. As a rock climber this is LOL.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 AM

Titanic and The Da Vinci Code.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 AM

I'd go with Hannibal.