Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Default How do I get a feel for HU and 3 Handed?

Hey there, i have been playing quite a bit of HORSE lately and I am very good in Holdem, a lot better than average in Razz, good in Stud8 even short and decent in O8 (pretty much playing pretty tight and waiting out the round).

Problem is i have a rather big Problem with Stud. Now at a full table i find it quite easy to play, play big pockets fast, play cool SC stuff like JT8s and so on, ocassionaly going for trips with small pockets and so on and i think my full ring game is good enough to not be a significant money loser, might be breakevenish.

But the problem is that at the Limits i frequent, which are mainly 5/10 and 10/20, there usually aren't 8 players at a table, games tend to play 2 and 3 handed. And those give me a huge headache in Stud Hi.

I tend to think that as a starting hand, you just need a couple of highcards, ideally higher than everyones upcards and that i have to play rather loosely and agressively just to not be eaten alive by the others. Now a ton of the times i get like a A93 to bringin and someone with an 8 up raises me. Is that an automuck or easy call or what? If i get pairs and the people play somewhat sane I can think of their range and act accordingly, but a lot of people spazz out completely 3 handed.

Is there any sort of advice on how to handle overagressive people in Stud 3 handed? If i just wait for huge hands i can't fight back at all in 8 hands, or maybe i get a good hand once and they fold since it's my only agression.

What kind of starting Hands go up in value and which go down? Any Experts here? I would just need a general piece of advice, I don't have a real question. Also for 10/20 game it would be Ante 1, Bringin 3, Complete 10.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: How do I get a feel for HU and 3 Handed?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there, i have been playing quite a bit of HORSE lately and I am very good in Holdem, a lot better than average in Razz, good in Stud8 even short and decent in O8 (pretty much playing pretty tight and waiting out the round).

Problem is i have a rather big Problem with Stud. Now at a full table i find it quite easy to play, play big pockets fast, play cool SC stuff like JT8s and so on, ocassionaly going for trips with small pockets and so on and i think my full ring game is good enough to not be a significant money loser, might be breakevenish.

But the problem is that at the Limits i frequent, which are mainly 5/10 and 10/20, there usually aren't 8 players at a table, games tend to play 2 and 3 handed. And those give me a huge headache in Stud Hi.

I tend to think that as a starting hand, you just need a couple of highcards, ideally higher than everyones upcards and that i have to play rather loosely and agressively just to not be eaten alive by the others. Now a ton of the times i get like a A93 to bringin and someone with an 8 up raises me. Is that an automuck or easy call or what? If i get pairs and the people play somewhat sane I can think of their range and act accordingly, but a lot of people spazz out completely 3 handed.

Is there any sort of advice on how to handle overagressive people in Stud 3 handed? If i just wait for huge hands i can't fight back at all in 8 hands, or maybe i get a good hand once and they fold since it's my only agression.

What kind of starting Hands go up in value and which go down? Any Experts here? I would just need a general piece of advice, I don't have a real question. Also for 10/20 game it would be Ante 1, Bringin 3, Complete 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play as tight as if you were in a ring game. This is correct because with few people the pot size is also smaller, since there are fewer antes. The only adjustments that you should make are to overvalue 3 broadway cards and to undervalue small 3 flushes/str8 draws