Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 AM

Default 6-max Ring: 3-betting Range?

Assume you're playing a 6-max $0.5/$1 ring online with $100 stacks. Your table image is agressive without being very loose or too tight.

In position:

UTG folds and MP raises to $4
MP is playing a solid VP$/PFR of 20/15
You are CO or OTB.

Which hands do you 3 bet here?

Out of position:

UTG folds and MP raises to $4 and it's folded around to you.
MP is playing a solid VP$/PFR of 20/15
You are SB or BB.

Which hands do you 3-bet this time?

My thinking here is obviously you need to 3bet your really good hands for value and then sometimes 3bet weaker hands for deception.
Currently I will 3bet AA-JJ and AK about 90% of the time, and I'll 3-bet 67s, 78s, 89s about 50% of the time. With these hands I can easily fold when raised and I can still flop big when called.

What are the more experienced players here doing?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: 6-max Ring: 3-betting Range?

Should I maybe post this in another forum?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: 6-max Ring: 3-betting Range?

Probably not a good forum for this question - 3 betting light is not a beginner's concept, nor should beginners playing at low stakes (say $25 NL or lower) focus on it - they just don't have enough folding equity vs. the typical micro stakes opponent.

But to answer your question, when I play $100 NL, I usually don't 3-bet someone opening UTG or UTG+1 without a very good hand (AA-JJ, AK, maybe AQ) unless they're loose. If I'm on the button, I'll repop someone opening from the cutoff with TONS of stuff - almost all PP's, AK-A10, suited connectors, and even suited aces if they're exceptionally loose and are competent enough to lay down to a 3-bet OOP.

I'm also fairly liberal with restealing a loose LP raiser from blinds if it's folded to me - see the above hand selection, but I will temper it just a bit since I'll be OOP with a presumably weaker hand if called.