Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 AM

Default ($25) Playing those pesky JJ-QQ hands in tough situations

Hi guys I have been running into some sticky situations as of late with hands like JJ and QQ against tight players.

Here is an example:

Villain statistics are 19/15/4 which is not too tight - but he is 3-betting me out of the blinds which would naturally be a narrower range. I had not been out line, neither had villain so I expect his range would be (being generous) TT+ AK, AQs. It is not inconceivable that his range may even be tighter then that since he is RR an initial raiser with a flat caller from the CO. Something to keep in mind anyway.

Here is the hand:

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $24.75
BB: $28.98
UTG: $8.07
Hero (MP): $24.41
CO: $49.07
BTN: $41.41

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, CO calls $0.85, 2 folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $3.00</font>, Hero calls $2.15, CO folds

Flop: ($6.95) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $5.00</font>, Hero?

Preflop: I am squeezed so not sure what my best play here should be. I didn't really think that he could be making a play here because my raise from EP has to appear strong (I have only been raising around 11% from all posistion and UTG+1 is certainly tighter then that). The player in the CO who flat called has a vpip of 35% so he is calling pretty light so maybe a 3-bet could be in order because I don't have to be as worried about his call. Although, JJ is a little too weak to be doing this, right? But we do have posistion post flop if he folds and the 3-better calls. Or we can just take it down which is an excellent result.

On the flop I know I am going to be way ahead or way behind and could easily get into big trouble. I do not want to pay off AA, KK, QQ but I also don't to be bluffed by AK/AQ.

According to PokerStove: After the flop -

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 71.017% 69.43% 01.59% 123717 2835.00 { TT+, AQs+ }
Hand 1: 28.983% 27.39% 01.59% 48813 2835.00 { JJ }

Is this my answer right here? Fold?

I can either fold preflop OR -
a. flat call which I don't think is a good play.
b. Raise it up and find out where I stand but this basically commits me.
c. fold

What does everyone think?

p.s. Sorry for the long post. I like typing and this situation is interesting because you can make/lose a lot of money.

Hopefully this will provoke some insightful discussion. Thanks everyone and best wishes.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: ($25) Playing those pesky JJ-QQ hands in tough situations

We are only ahead of AK really and at this level I don't think alot of players repop with AK from a raiser in MP.

This is a fold uninproved
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: ($25) Playing those pesky JJ-QQ hands in tough situations

I think when you have JJ or QQ its a good idea to have some kind of plan on how you are going to play the flop before you call the reraise. When you have a reraiser with a tight range then you are basically calling for set value. There was a post somewhere where the odds were worked out and you basically need to feel like you have implied odds of at least 11 to 1. So in this case with effective stacks of 100bb you basically have to stack him every time for your call of the reraise to be plus ev. Just ditch the jacks pf against villains with a tight range unless you are a little deep.