Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Default AA venetian 550

blinds are 300/600/50 10 handed i have 18k Co has me covered. I have been at this table about an hour and have had 4 out of my 5 opens rearaised and have had to fold preflop. I also havent reraised yet preflop and i think my image is pretty weak tight so far. it gets folded to the co who has a wide range preflop in this spot and will cbet a huge part of that range on most flops. He raises to 1700 folds to me in the BB and i have AA. I felt like if i reraised pushed here he would fold the majority of his range so i called is this bad thinking? flop comes J103 rb I ck he bets 2000 into 4200 what lines do you take against a guy who has a huge betting range right here but a very tight calling range. How do your lines change if you think his 2 barrel frequencies are high or low. Also any good links that talk about how the concept of M changes if at all when antes are introduced?

Thanks alot!
Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: AA venetian 550

PF call is fine. Ur hoping he catches top pair w/ a hand that can't stand a reraise pf. After he bets 2k, c/r always unless he has a high 2-barreling frequency, in which case, c/c, c/r AI turn. On this flop, either he has made that hand that will give you action, or he will have to improve to a hand better than yours to give action (again, unless his 2 barrel freq is high). If flop was more raggy like T63 or 953, I would often c/c vs. your wide cbettor, regardless of his 2 barrel freq.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Based on your image, it is hard to justify a preflop raise, so what you did is fine.

As MikeJ said, if you call, what are the chances he'll fire to a turn check?

I confess I have the huge urge to do something a bit weird like check-raise to T6000 total on the flop just to look really fishy. I don't like the presence of a J and T on this board though, there's a lot of turn cards I am not thrilled about here.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM

What do you think about leading the flop with a weakish image against a pretty agg. guy hoping to induce a shove?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think about leading the flop with a weakish image against a pretty agg. guy hoping to induce a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea if you like your opponent to play perfectly. Use the info from the past hour to your advantage. Personally, I prolly c/r AI the flop, but floating to the turn is OK as well. If I have not seen a 2nd barrel from villian on the turn, I'm gettin' froggy on the flop.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 PM

Raise to like 6k.

Sounds fishy, but he's not getting rid of a jack or overpair here, and his flop bet is weak and he could very easily sense that you're making a play with nothing or 'feeling it out' with a weak made hand. I'd prefer 7k if you were deeper but I want the raise small enough that he thinks he has some fold equity with a push or enough chips to make a speculative call.

Calling just makes it hard for you to get paid off. You give him a free card, give a chance for scare cards to hit to kill your action, and unless he is very capable of big bluffs you're not going to get a Kx turn to induce him to fire off another barrel with air. Just so few good things can happen from there against nonaggro players.

An allin checkraise is just too big. If there were a two flush on the flop it might have more merit as a semibluff lookalike, but here its probably just terrifying. A small raise is just not that scary given the parameters.

Don't forget that the players in these tournaments just suck. Give them every chance to call off chips, as they are better at making "call-and-see" plays when your bet isn't immediately stack-threatening.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 AM

when i said lead on the flop i meant to make it look like a weakish blocking bet with a hand like 44-99 and hopefully induce a bluff from a big part of his range. I was thinking this might work beacuase of how often i had already folded to a preflop reraise. why is this letting him play perfectly? is this not how people respond often enough to flop leads?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 AM

I think this can be a valid line but you need a weak/donkish image.

W/E, I don't like check-calling the flop. I think he slows down with so much of his range that will call small raises and it's a dangerous flop to be giving free cards on. I think he'll call a raise with a wider range than he'll fire two barrels with.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to like 6k.

Sounds fishy, but he's not getting rid of a jack or overpair here, and his flop bet is weak and he could very easily sense that you're making a play with nothing or 'feeling it out' with a weak made hand. I'd prefer 7k if you were deeper but I want the raise small enough that he thinks he has some fold equity with a push or enough chips to make a speculative call.

Calling just makes it hard for you to get paid off. You give him a free card, give a chance for scare cards to hit to kill your action, and unless he is very capable of big bluffs you're not going to get a Kx turn to induce him to fire off another barrel with air. Just so few good things can happen from there against nonaggro players.

An allin checkraise is just too big. If there were a two flush on the flop it might have more merit as a semibluff lookalike, but here its probably just terrifying. A small raise is just not that scary given the parameters.

Don't forget that the players in these tournaments just suck. Give them every chance to call off chips, as they are better at making "call-and-see" plays when your bet isn't immediately stack-threatening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line the best. Plus, live people don't understand how bad of a raise to 6000 really is. Chances are villian will see this as a legit raise. He might push back at you, but he also might just call. Then I would lead turn. Possibly all in if you're feeling it (that he'll call), and possibly half your stack if you think he'll call that.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Just calling the flop bet is terrible, checkraise please.