Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Heads up turn spot standard line?

First orbit, no reads

UTG opens in 5 handed game, folded to hero in small blind who 3 bets with Ac Jh, big blind folds, UTG calls.
Flop is 8d, 5c, 2s. Goes Bet, call.
Turn is 3h.

Now what's your standard line v an unknown?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Heads up turn spot standard line?

[ QUOTE ]
First orbit, no reads

UTG opens in 5 handed game, folded to hero in small blind who 3 bets with Ac Jh, big blind folds, UTG calls.
Flop is 8d, 5c, 2s. Goes Bet, call.
Turn is 3h.

Now what's your standard line v an unknown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its close between check/calling down and bet/calling the turn and check/folding the river UI. Against a complete unknown check/calling down can never be that bad. Some factors supporting a turn bet are that this guy is most likely peeling this flop with any two overcards, so you will get him to fold a 6 outer a decent percentage of time. You may also get called by a smaller ace that may not bet the turn. There are also no flushdraws on the turn so you are not very likely to run into a semi-bluff raise when you bet the turn.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 AM

ILP is spot on. mix up c/c and b/c, c/f
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 AM

I just call PF. As played I fire on the turn against an unknown.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are also no flushdraws on the turn so you are not very likely to run into a semi-bluff raise when you bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you can then fold safely to a raise on the turn?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are also no flushdraws on the turn so you are not very likely to run into a semi-bluff raise when you bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you can then fold safely to a raise on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he's saying we can fold the river UI is we get raised on the turn.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:43 AM

He opended from the HJ and didnt cap u. And he didnt raise your flop bet and the turn didnt pair him. He now will call with his gutter with a worse ace and fold the overcards, but if you chk he may happily chk his overcards (and also the ace) for a freecard realizing that u prolly having a gutter with your ace and is chking to call. This was about the standard line, and that is betting. When it is not standard and u have a read that descion may change.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just call PF. As played I fire on the turn against an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call PF is a bit weak in my mind. If we play the hand and we should against most then we want to raise. We don't want to let BB cheap in and we want BB's dead money. Letting him cheap in may cost us up to 20% equity(from favourite to maybe only having a 1/3 of the equity). If we makes him fold a low pair or any suited connector we have gained significantly. We also don't want to be OOP against two opponent. It would be so hard to play this hand on the turn against two opponents.

Flop: Is standard.

Turn: On one hand we want to get to showdown as cheap as possible and on the other hand we want to protect. Most villains will fold overcards here when we bet but many good players may raise you with any pair or even a strong draw if he has got reads on you.

Betting the turn is fine I think. A standardplayer caps AKo and may just call the 3bet with AQ preflop. So most of the time we should be infront against overcards and he may fold or call us up with Ax giving us value.
On the other hand he may have any pocketpair. High pockets is likely because of deception because he finish the betting preflop. But as you have no history an unknown would probably prefer to get the money in as a favourite.
Lower pocket - unlikely as he would like to find out were he stands at the flop and not giving freecards. that means that a most likely line from him would be raise flop - bet turn and fold to a raise maybe.
But there is a small likelihood that he may wait to raise the turn and if he is he probably has a made hand. Maybe even a set or smaller pair. Maybe some would do this with AK/AQ but then you are behind anyway. A raise with AT is unlikely. Taking into account that you may be up against a set or your Ace is probably counterfeited you can fold to a raise. So bet/fold is my line.

EDIT: If we are in front giving a freecard probably isn't that expensive as he only has from 3 or 6 outs costing us 3/46*4.5BB = 0.3BB or 6/46*4.5BB= 0.6BB. So proctecting this pot costs us more than it is worth if he will bluff the turn or river if we check. Also if we get raised on the turn it is a catastrophe as you se we are not giving much away here with just a check.
So it is close but if I bet I should be able to fold to a raise. Betcall isn't a consistent line really in my mind.
So it is check-call or betfold.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe he's saying we can fold the river UI is we get raised on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a river fold is at the very least, more likely to be correct on this board after that action.