Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Default trip report: WSOP e15, DSEII e10, Venetian nightly

It was a fun trip.

I played in WSOP event #15, $1500 nl texas, which was the event Phil Hellmuth won his record setting 11th WSOP bracelet. A couple of my coworker's were down for the event and one played against Phil in this event and had the chance to knock him out early. My tournament wasn't so good.

I was knocked out towards the end of the first hour. We had 3000 in chips and the first level was 25-50 blinds. I won one pot with a late position raise with AQo that the BB called. The flop was a rainbow K and 2 babies and the BB checked and I c-bet for 2/3 of the pot and brought the chips in. I lost a couple of pots where I overlimped with small pairs or suited connectors and folded after missing the flop. When the fateful hand came up we had already lost 2 players from our table.

Preflop:

I had ~2700 in chips and LP raised to 250. Standard raise was 150, but lots of people at the table were doing bizarre things like calling huge bets with middle pair and playing recklessly by moving all-in when that was too big a bet (or by doing stuff like I did). I was in the cut-off and sensed strength from the LP raiser. I thought he thought he had a good hand based on my gut read of him. He had played one other pot where he flopped a straight and took a ton of chips of an idiot who put all his chips in with second pair top kicker on a scary connected board. I flat called with QQ (clearly mistake #1, I should raise), largely because of the read. The button, who was a horrible player who had made a bunch of chips after she got in with the worst of it and sucked out earlier, flat called. The blinds folded.

Flop (3 players, 825 chips): 2d 5d 2h

A pretty good flop for me, no one is likely to have a 2, no A or no K meant I was willing to get aggressive. LP raiser bet 600. I raised to 1200 (possible mistake #2 - a more standard raise would have been to 1800 but that would have committed me, and I wanted to leave myself room to get away from the hand... at least that's what I thought at the time and for the next 10 seconds). Button folded. LP raiser re-raised all in (about 1250 more chips). I thought and decided to call (maybe mistake #3 - not sure, I don't think I can get away from the hand and trust a read on that board. He could have had 66-JJ or even AK and played like that given some of the other jokers at the table). He had AA. Turn was a K. River was an 8 and I was out.

DSEII:

I played in event 10 of the venetian deep stack extravaganza II on the Sunday. Venetian >> Rio. There were 369 players in this event. They paid 40 places. We started at noon and were playing until 2am or the final table whichever came first. I played fairly well and basically coasted at slightly above average for most of the first day (including some time against Bond18 – although I didn’t know it at the time). I had one interesting hand after being moved for the first time (after my table broke) where I was about 2x the average stack (~22,500) and was at a new table for about an hour. There was a guy who had about 5x the average stack (~50,000) who didn't play a hand for the first hour I was there. Most of the table was between 1/2 average and average and was playing loosely and I felt I was quite a bit better than. Folded to the big stack in MP who raised the 100-200 blind to 700. I was in the CO and reraised to 2100 with KK. Folded back to the big stack who makes it 7100 to go. I thought for a long time. There are 6 AA, 1 KK, 8 AK in the deck. There are 6 more QQ in the deck. I didn't know much about the guy and didn't have a good body language read. All I knew was he had accumulated a lot of chips, he didn't play a hand for an hour up to this point, he hadn't seen me play many hands, and he made a pot size raise even though many people were making 600 bets rather than the 700. I decided I had too many chips and too much of a skill edge over a bunch of the idiots at my table to risk it and folded KK (facedown of course, I didn't want the whole table to know how weak tight I can be). The guy ended up going out early in the money but our table soon broke and I didn't play with him again so I'm still not sure if the fold was even remotely close to reasonable.

Getting towards the bubble there was an eventful hand where I had ~50K and an aggressive but not great player had been forced off a couple of hands and had a stack a bit bigger than mine. The blinds are something like 400/800/75 and I'm in MP and raise JdJc to 3200. Villain calls from the button, blinds fold. Board is 2c4c5h. I bet 6000 and Villain calls. Turn is the 9s. I bet 15000 Villain calls. River is the Ad. I hate this card. I check and villain fires in a 20000 bet. I only have a little over 25000. I think it over, what can I beat? Any thing with a 3, nope. Any nut flush draw, nope. Any over card, nope. Any flopped pair+TK, nope. I decide the pot is too big and he's too much of a bad player for me to lay it down and call. He says you got me, I missed but and tables just the 9c. I table the JJ FTW.

The money was at 40 people and we went hand for hand with 41 left late Sunday night. I had an around average stack of ~90K. Finally the bubble burst and we redrew all seats for the final 4 tables (we completely redrew at each table break from here down). A big hand just after the money was where I was in the BB with 88 and called a LP raiser (he had ~160K stack). The flop was J83, all clubs. I bet close to the pot and got a flat call. The turn was a red 6. I bet all in and got an instacall. I said "I guess I better hope the board pairs" and flipped over my 88 set. The caller had Ac5c for the nut flush. The river was the case 8 and I doubled up with quads. The guy to my right claimed the raiser was still on tilt the next day from my "suckout" and he was one of the first out on day 2. That pot is how I went from around average to nearly 200K.

At the end of the day one there were 36 players left when we stopped and I was in 4th place with 181,500 chips overnight. First place was to pay $106,000 with the payouts top heavy with the ramp up starting around 7th place paying ~$7K. Day 2 started at 4 pm Monday and very quickly we were down to just 30 or so players. The blinds and antes started adding up and I was having trouble accumulating any more chips. I was "stealing" around a pot of blinds and antes every other orbit with steals that were about 50/50 realish hands (Axs, 55) versus true steals (95o). The tables I was at now were aggressive in general and there was one old man big stack who was raising aggressively and calling reraises even when he only had hands like A4o or KTs (all of which tended to hit for him) so restealing was tough and I wasn't getting cards.

We consolidated to 3 tables at 27 and people left fast. With ~19 players and I had ~120,000 in chips when average stack was now ~200,000 in chips. Blinds were now 2,000-4,000 with a 500 ante. Folded to the Button who raises to 13,000. We've only been at this table for 2 orbits and I know most of the players from earlier tables but not the button. He used to have ~300,000 but lay down a huge pot after a raise-reraise-3bet flop that had followed a raise-reraise preflop when he was BB vs the SB and now was down to ~150K. He thought for a good 2 minutes before folding. I'm in the SB and see 8c9c and decide to call. The flop is Th 7h 7s. I check, he bets 24,000. I should move all in here. A meaningful raise here commits me to the pot so all-in is the right move. But this guy doesn't know me and might think I'm picking on him after seeing the huge laydown. I call (hands where I'm not super weak-tight are less fun to describe). We check it down the rest of the way as a 5 and a Q hit. I show my 89 he shows Ad4d.

At 2 tables and 17 players I was 98,000 when my fateful hand hit. Blinds were now 4,000-8,000 with a 1,000 ante. I raised from EP with AQo to 24,000. One of the few players at this table I hadn't played with and having a short stack with 83,000 moved all in from MP. Folded to me. 69,000 in the pot and I need to call 59,000 more? I'm not that weak-tight so I near insta-call. MP shows Ad9d. The door card is a 9 and there is a diamond on the flop. The turn is a diamond, and my Q isn't so I'm down to 2 outs. The river is a diamond completing the unnecessary flush and I'm crippled to 15,000. Next hand I'm UTG+1 and look at J7o and decide to push. The old man from above who was calling with the worst hand and winning called my bet from MP. Another shortish stack from LP went all-in for ~80K. The old man called. The old man had 66. The short stack had KK. The flop was 782r. Half way there! The turn was a 6 and I was drawing dead. The river was a Q and both the short stack and I were out. I was 17th for ~$2475 and the short stack picked up ~$3100.

It was around 7pm. There was another DSEII playing that had started at noon with a $330 buy in. But even though those two tournaments were on going there was a regular 8 pm nightly tournament that the Venetian ran that was $180 to play (counting single rebuy and staff bonus) that gave you all total 4500 in chips with 30 minute levels and the same structure as DSEII.

Nightly:

I entered that and there were 109 players in that with top 9 paying. 1st got $5,223 down to 9th at $450. One interesting thing about this tournament is there were many women playing this event. Maybe 20% women. At the Bay 101 tournaments I play in there are a lot of women when more than 5% of the field are women. The reason for the women was Sunday was the first day of the $1K women's only WSOP event #17. So many of the women who played in that and had busted were now playing this tournament. That was good as there were maybe 5 good men players and 10 good women so when coming to a new table you could tell the women were the ones to be most careful of.

I was dominating my first table. It was sick. I don't think I've ever read other players live that well. I was value betting top pair no kicker on the river and getting called by hands worse than mine. I was check-raising over betting the pot on made decent hands (TPTK) and getting calls from AK-no pair no draw 3 out hands. I very quickly was up to ~20,000 chips and basically then started getting some good hands. I had back to back AA and KK an orbit later and now people had thought I was crazy from the first part of the tournament and I was up past 30,000. I then slowly built that up and was probably around 50,000 for a while.

Things were great until we were around 25 players. Then I was really, really card dead. I fought hard and made the final 12 (4 or whom were women) with a slightly below average stack. Finally in EP I find AA raise, the BB re-raised all-in for a little less than I had, and I of course fold – just kidding. Her 99<AA and I nearly doubled up. We went to the final table with 10 people and cut a deal to pay 10th place $223 from first so no one in the final table would miss out on the money. There was one annoying guy who kept exposing his cards when heads up and bet into or raised to "try and get a read" or Hollywood and then eventually folding 1-2 minutes later. This is of course against TDA rules and should get him a penalty and I started calling the clock as soon as he exposed his hand and he very nearly served a penalty with 8 people left before he got busted. I was super short at one point with 8 left and open pushed all in from the SB with T5o and got the pot odds call from the bigger but still short BB who had 93o and neither of us hit so I doubled up.

The final 4 players were the better 4 players IMHO: Me (a TAG when not weak-tight), a Canadian woman from Calgary who was a TAG, a Columbian early twenties guy who was hanging out with his other South American 20s online poker pals and apparently is a big time bodog player and was a strong LAGGY player, and a late twenties Asian guy who was also a LAGGY player but had got lucky a couple of times and wasn't quite as good as the other LAG. Blinds 4,000-8,000 with a 1000 ante. I had 61,000. The woman had about the same, maybe a little more. Asian LAG had ~150,000 and SA LAG has ~210,000.

We had lots of pots of us short stacks raised and everybody folded or the LAGs would play back and forth and trade 30-60K pots. Finally I'm the button and the Asian LAG raises UTG to 24K. I see red 6's and go all-in over the top for 48K. The other LAG thinks and thinks and folds. The BB folds. UTG instacalls and has JJ. The SB is happy he folded as he had 77. The flop comes T97. The 77 guy is mad. I briefly think I've picked up 4 outs but realize J-high straight beats T-high straight. The turn and river is uneventful and I'm out in 4th at 3:30 am. I take my $1,250 and head back to the rio for sleep.

So overall a good and profitable trip even if my first WSOP event was shorter than I'd like.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: trip report: WSOP e15, DSEII e10, Venetian nightly

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to the big stack in MP who raised the 100-200 blind to 700. I was in the CO and reraised to 2100 with KK. Folded back to the big stack who makes it 7100 to go. I thought for a long time. There are 6 AA, 1 KK, 8 AK in the deck. There are 6 more QQ in the deck. I didn't know much about the guy and didn't have a good body language read. All I knew was he had accumulated a lot of chips, he didn't play a hand for an hour up to this point, he hadn't seen me play many hands, and he made a pot size raise even though many people were making 600 bets rather than the 700. I decided I had too many chips and too much of a skill edge over a bunch of the idiots at my table to risk it and folded KK (facedown of course, I didn't want the whole table to know how weak tight I can be). The guy ended up going out early in the money but our table soon broke and I didn't play with him again so I'm still not sure if the fold was even remotely close to reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm going with not reasonable. no, make that puke-worthy.
sounds like a great trip though.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 PM

this isnt real right
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 AM

I'm afraid it was real. Even the bit of me not liking KK with >100 BB effective stacks.