Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Stud beginner hand

I'm new to stud and I've played alot of NLHE.

The hand is probably very basic.
This hand, I read that having 2 overcards to all the seen cards is an OK hand to play, but I maybe should fold to the raise on 3rd? I thought the raise on 4th was OK. Is 5th fine or should I check with the intention of calling (it looks like I have 10 outs for a good 2 pair or trips)?

</body></html>7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

Hero: $12.05
Seat 2: $11.95
Seat 3: $18.50
Seat 4: $12.05
Seat 5: $18.85
Seat 6: $15.30
Seat 7: $19.25
Seat 8: $12.90

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.60 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (5.80 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.80 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (7.80 BB)
Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Stud beginner hand

The bring in for this game is too big to make this a call on 3rd in the first place. I'd probably fold, but if the people behind me and the limper are moderately tight (unlikely at this limit) I'd raise. 2 overcard play okay against 1 person heads up and you usually should fold to the raise on third after limping, BUT the queens are dead, you close the action, and the pot odds are very high (due to the large bring in size), so the call is correct. The rest of the streets are fine.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 PM

That hand is not a limping hand on 3rd street. Either fold it or raise - preferably fold. In stud, due to the way equity percentages break down, you almost always want less players in a hand you're playing - unless you've got a big drawing hand - and even then you want to play it aggressively to increase your chances of taking it down if you catch a scare card.

So in short - be looking to either raise or fold - a lot of calling doesn't lead to successfull stud play.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM

I'm with SLM...pump it or dump it on 3rd...preferrably dump.

Why can't I play crap like that & catch that kinda board??
Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM

To elaborate on what others have said, in hold'em AK is a very good starting hand. You've got about a 1:3 chance of flopping a pair, and top pair/top kickers is frequently enough to win, especially in a shorthanded pot. In stud, you get your cards one at a time after third street, so you have to make payments on an installment plan to see if you can pair up. Also, one or two pair is somewhat less likely to hold up in stud, especially if the pot is multi-way. So folding is probably your best option on third, although I don't think that either of your other choices would be terrible.

I prefer to bet out on fourth. The likely bettor is on your left, and check-raising is likely to tie the other players on. You'd prefer to knock them out.

Beyond that, yeah, just keep hammering.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM

On third, I agree with everyone that fold>raise>limp. Also, once you limp, you should fold to the complete. In a tight game, you have a great upcard situation to ante steal, but this doesn't work at microlimits or with a limper.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM

He only has to call 3/5 of a bet, so I disagree with folding to the completion.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He only has to call 3/5 of a bet, so I disagree with folding to the completion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, OK, as long as you don't get drawn into calling 4th if you miss.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Quitter.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM

this is a clear fold, AK9 off suit in a trash hand especially in a multiway pot. AKT can sometimes be playable in the right situation but AK9 shouldnt be limped on 3rd unless its a blind stealing situation.