Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Sit N Go ROI too low for $5 level

I've been playing NL Holdem for a couple of years now and I've always considered myself a decent player, but I can't figure out why my ROI is so low at just the $5 SNG level.

About two months ago I started tracking my SNG tourneys for real, and since then I've played exactly 252 tournaments. My ITM% is 37.30% which I think is about average (though I'd like to get it up around 40-45%), but my ROI is only just 7.58%.

At first I started playing on UB where I did well, but a few weeks ago I deposited $50 on FTP and eventually got up to $95. I know that's pretty crappy, but I can't seem to break the $100 barrier so far. From $95, I went down all the way to $28, and now I'm back up to $75.

I always multi-table, playing usually 4 tourneys at a time, but sometimes 6. I don't think this is hurting me b/c I sometimes become impatient when I don't multi-table and that hurts my game even more.

I am wondering what would be a standard ROI for the $5 level? 20% or higher? It's so frustrating because I know I can do MUCH better than this!

A long time ago I made $1500 on Bodog in just a few weeks, but I decided to start over from scratch b/c I figure I can't move up levels until I can consistently beat the lower levels.

PS: Something to note is that I don't really use any tracking software. I own PokerOffice but don't really use it anymore, and I'm considering investing in PokerTracker, although I'm afraid I'd have no clue how to use it. I'd rather build up my bankroll some more before spending money on new software.

Any advice for me?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Sit N Go ROI too low for $5 level

Seems your ITM is okay, so you're probably just getting a lot of 3rd places. Try an ICM (SnG Power Tools or SNG Wizard) to improve your game.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM

If you look in the books forum you'll find information on a book coming out in the near future for sit'n'go's.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 AM

These days, 20% is attainable only by experts at the lower levels, and it is virtually unattainable if you go much higher than the 16s.

See the section on ROI in the SNG forum FAQ:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;page=0#roi

Please note, you would need a large sample size of games to accurately predict your true ROI. As in, 500 to have any idea and 1000 to make an educated guess. So no need to obsess over your ROI until the numbers begin to normalize and you can read something into them.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 AM

First, you don't have a significant sample to get a handle on what your true roi is. Second you might have some leaks, I would suggest going to the STT Forum and look at the FAQ, check out the ICM software. At the 5.50s 35% is attainable by the very best, in general if you are +10% you're doing very well.

Instead of worrying about your roi, I would look into getting some software such as sngwiz, sngpt, pokertracker, pahud, then go through hands and evaluate if you made +EV pushes and calls. I would also post some hands in the STT forum. If you do these things, I guarantee you will improve your bankroll.

EDIT: I would also suggest reading through the STT FAQ, it might take you a week but there's alot of good stuff in there.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 AM

Off the top of my head I'd say you're playing too tight after the bubble.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM

I found PT to be so useful after 1000 hands that I had to buy it. But it looks like you're pretty good at doing it by hand. Also, you have to enter tourney results from full tilt by hand anyway.