Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Need a little SnG advice

i've never really posted on here just checked them daily but anyway...a Year of so ago i made the initial 50$ deposit on FT and turned thatinto roughly 600 running 5.50 SnGs a few times a week. I had totake some time off for school an internship and am getting back into itagain. My main problem i can't seem to fix is building a chipstack. ( i usually just play 6 max sng's) I play fairlytight as i should at the beginning. A hole in my game, or atleast i think, is mid-late tourney when blinds are around50/100+. Early i don't touch hands like k-10 or q-10os unless i'mthe button or sb/bb for cheap. Really my question is should i beraising these hands later in a tourney with 4 possibly 5 left with abelow average chipstack. should i be raising with things likesuited connectors. i understand continuation bets work 80% of thetime but i just can't seem to understand anymore what my range shouldbe late tourney. i dunno maybe the low lvl sng's have changedover the past year. any thoughts on this would be great.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Need a little SnG advice

sometimes yes but this just completely depends on blinds, stacks and players at the table. the specific situation is pretty necessary to analyze these situations. Read posts, post some hands, and you should gain some idea of what to think about when assessing these situations. gl.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 PM

thanks. i generally read the posts daily. i guess what i'm really wondering is say the average chipstack is 2.3k ish and i'm sitting at maybe 12-1300 with the blinds 50/100 with 4 people left, what should be range be? any pair? j/10+. i don't really like to 2.5 raise the chip leader so i generally always raise the same amount which is 3xs-3.5. anyway, ya, i'm a bit off centered atm.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 PM

generally with that stack size you dont want to be raising 3.5x the bb. its a very awkward stack size so when raising, either shoving or raising 2.5x is going to be more +EV and make your decisions easier, especially when you have to fold to a shove from the big stack.

i also wouldnt raise particularly loose in this situation, on the button id often raise hands like KT if the big stack wasnt in the blind. if the bigger stacks had folded (meaning you have more fold equity) you can open up your range more.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 PM

Average stack is completely irrelevant in STTs.

Play good solid ultra-TAG poker until you get close to 10BB. Then you're in push/fold mode (and you should also be in push fold mode when everyone else left to act is at around 10BB or less). Same principle goes for reraising or raising over limpers - if a standard raise (ie ~the pot) is more than 30% of your stack, just stick it all in.

Use ICM to check whether or not you should push in certain situations. It can be pretty counterintuitive, so don't rely on instinct - you will be pushing different hands than you would in an MTT with a low M. You will need to pay close attention to your opponents to use ICM properly - whether or not you should push a given hand will depend heavily on their calling ranges.

In push/fold mode you are mostly looking to pick up the blinds (although on a loose low buy-in table you may have to push so tight that you are often looking to double up). When the blinds are high a hot run of pushable hands can give you the chip lead in no time at all. You don't care what the average stack is - all you care about is having enough FE to pick up the blinds next time you push.

Stop thinking of it in MTT terms. In STTs you are playing for third and then, and only then, for first. The payout structure is very flat, so the first goal is to make it ITM.

Read this forum and post hands you're not sure about. Even if you're not going to respond to a thread, work out what you would do and why before you read the responses - you'll learn heaps doing this.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Missed that you play 6MAX tourneys. Me too. My experience so far is that most people loosen up too much early on because it's short-handed - I did. My results improved dramatically after I reverted to playing as I would early in a 10 man tourney. Where I play we're pretty much always on the bubble by level 3, often happens in level 1 or 2. When half your opponents will donk out early, you really don't need to worry about getting a big stack - they doubled your equity for you.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks so far good advice