Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Default what does this tell mean?

So I'm in a live low buy-in tournament, one of my opponents is pulling the Chris Ferguson (sp?) routine every hand. He is playing pretty aggressive, most of the time he has the hand, but was caught in a bluff once or twice.

But then on one hand, and one hand only, he goes all in and then leans back in his chair. This is the only hand he has been in that he is not had both elbows on the rail and his hands cupped around his mouth.

I felt like it was a bluff but I was just not strong enough to make a call for all my chips. Also, I thought he might be making a "strong is weak" counter tell....? What do you think?

Is this the right forum for this?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: what does this tell mean?

If this is a good player just goofing off in a low limit tourny I have no idea. But if this is your run of the mill worse than average player he seems to have just gotten really comfortable. Fold it.

If I had to guess this is not an acting tell this is a unconscious thing he is doing after looking at a big hand.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 PM

hmm... kinda hard without more info. what about his eyes? did he look at anybody, did he look away? sunglasses?

leaning back would make me think that he's pretty comfortable (likes his hand), but then again he might be leveling with you... it could be one of those advanced "i know that he knows i'm supposed to act like this if i get X kind of hand, therefore I do the opposite of the opposite of what indicates a bluff etc etc"-acts. Based on the info you give here, it seems like you made the right lay-down though, cause that one would be hard to sort out anyway.

So I guess it really depends on what kind of player he is. If he's a noob, I'd definately lay it down though, cause these gestures often means he's very strong.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM

Yea, he had sunglasses on.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 PM

leaning back means strong, but how good of a player is he? is he good enough that he'll know what that tell means? is he good enough that he's conscious of his body actions? is he good enough to deduce whether you are noticing his body actions?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
leaning back means strong, but how good of a player is he? is he good enough that he'll know what that tell means? is he good enough that he's conscious of his body actions? is he good enough to deduce whether you are noticing his body actions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a low buy in tourament, and that he was constantly doing the Chris thing, even on folds, I don't think he was all that good. But I do suspect he had read the books. Which bring us to the question of how good am I to make those judgements? lol...not that good...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM

I'd say it depends on *how* he leans back.

If there's a pause and then he casually leans back in the chair it's a sign of strength unless you think he's the type to throw a reverse tell at you on purpose.

On the other hand, if the leaning back happens as soon as the chips go in and almost looks initially like an involuntary movement, that's what Navarro would call a "limbic-brain" reaction, and then it's a sign of fear and weakness. This probably can't be a planned reverse-tell because it would look too fake.

From your overall description of how he's been acting, I'd lean towards weakness. It's either a planned reverse tell, or he had the initial limbic reaction and pulled away and has now tried to cover his tracks by acting casual.

That being said, with no other detail on the hand, I have no suggestion at all regarding what your action should be.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Sorry, I just can't remember the details of the board or even what I had, (I think it was like a low card flop, not really connected and I had top pair.) It was just a hand I got to thinking about a day or so later becuase I felt there was a tell there and I missed it.

Just by betting pattern I would have (and did)fold thinking he had an overpair or hit a set. it was just that his body language changed so much on that one hand only....
Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 PM

Good fold, seems to relaxed for my liking. But post-flop action can help confirm. Did he sit back up after the flop came out? did he jam the pot with nothing on the board? i think these are some of the actions that either confirm or deny the tell
Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM

the bet in question was the flop bet. Pre-flop I'm pretty sure he was in his "pose".