Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Rebuy Tournament \"M\" Discussion

I play in a rebuy tournament once a month. After the rebuy period, there is an inflection point where almost all the players have low Ms in relation to the escalating blinds.

I've made some situational mistakes to get myself knocked out before the final table when my stack was in jeopardy, but there usually were lots of folks who should be push/folding according to their Ms at that point.

I can't remember if Harrington had an exception to play slightly differently when the majority of people are in the same boat and all needing to chip up.

Lets assume the following table dynamic:

SB 2000/4000

Players
1) 25K
2) 30K
3) 22K-Me
4) 75K
5) 40K
6) 15K
7) 19K
8) 90K

Those are just the players, lets not assume a seating order at all.

Is it correct to do the standard push/fold w/ first in vig here or is there an adjustment that needs to be made since a lot of players may be looking to call w/ good, but not great hands, which would be ahead of a decent portion of my pushing range?

I'm wondering if I shouldn't narrow my pushing range in a situation like this or not.

Comments?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Tournament \"M\" Discussion

Sure you should adjust, but it probably doesn't just depend on the stack-blind ratios.

Rather, what is probably going on is this:

Lot's of people are on short M's. These people are 'decent' enough to realize that they need to make a move soon. They widen their shoving ranges. Some of these people are also 'decent' enough to realize other people are widening their shoving ranges. Therefore, they correctly adjust by widening their calling ranges against players they suspect may be widening their shoving ranges.

So what can you do? Honestly, there isn't really much aside from pokerstoving the optimal shoving range against what they think the optimal calling range is and then shoving with that range. Of course if they are really keen they will then adjust their calling ranges and so on.

In other words, the Nash equillibrium is in full effect in these situations. But to answer your question most directly, yes you should be adjusting your shoving range to maximize value. The amount of adjustment first depends on your stack-blind ratio and then to your opponents calling ranges.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Tournament \"M\" Discussion

Thanks for the reply. One thing I failed to mention is there is a decent percentage of the field that doesn't know what an M is. However, that doesn't mean they wouldn't notice that someone is shoving a lot more than they would seem to have a great hand for.