Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Default $50nl, Full house facing resistance

Comments on both my turn and river play are appreciated

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $89.12
BB: $49.97
UTG: $49.25
Hero (BTN): $75.24

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain was a 13/13/4 nit over ~40 hands. He was positionally aware (one hand he raised from the CO with J8o, called my 3bet from the blinds. flop was xJx, he shoved over me cbet and showed me the hand and took it down. Another hand was 3way: he limps, I raise with 87o OTB, SB calls, he calls. Flop 269hh (I hold the 8h) both check. I bet $5 in a $7,5, SB raises to $13, villain raises allin, we both fold)

So he is nitty, but capable of making moves on me.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, SB calls $1.75, BB folds

Flop: ($4.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.25</font>, SB calls $3.25

Turn: ($11) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $14.00</font>, Hero ??

Whats my play on different rivers?

(edited to shift the attention to my turn play)
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: $50nl, Full house facing resistance

all-in all the day, T9
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM

I certainly hope you're not thinking anything but "get all the money in" on the river. You're beaten by exactly two hands: JJ and 88. If he has one of those, it's a cooler. But you must shove the river here. For every time he has one of those two hands, it's twice as likely he has A7/AA-QQ/87/9T that he believes is good.

I like the turn play, just because you're in position. You should be just as willing to get the money in there if you have to, but the smoothcall is good to induce a bet on the river (which you can then shove over).
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Ive edited my OP, as I feel the river card is causing myself and maybe other to be too results oriented. I think my turn play was more important here.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive edited my OP, as I feel the river card is causing myself and maybe other to be too results oriented. I think my turn play was more important here.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, you should be willing to get the money in on the turn. The river card is totally irrelevant; there is no "scare card" that's going to get me off my boat in this spot. I hope it helps the opponent enough that he pays us off, but that's it. I still like the play on the turn for that reason.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM

In position just call the turn here. He'll lead river a lot here I bet and you can just shove over. If he's decent he'll often find a fold with worse hands if you shove over his minraise on the turn.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM

I think calling the turn is good - he should follow up with a river bet and you can shove for value.

i think i am shoving for value on all river cards. for some reason i think he's got a big pp a lot here, also obviously we beat the other 7 or J8.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:22 PM

I don't calling here. If you smooth call, you'll have ~56 left in a ~40 pot, and villain does not necessarily always bet this rive.
I prefer a small raise to ~30, and get the rest in on the river.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't calling here. If you smooth call, you'll have ~56 left in a ~40 pot, and villain does not necessarily always bet this rive.
I prefer a small raise to ~30, and get the rest in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain nearly always bets the river with any hand he's willing to call a raise on the turn with. Conversely, if we 3-bet the turn, he is less likely to bet the river (otherwise he'd probably just shove the turn) and we get less value. The advantage of waiting is that we get more money out of him if he's bluffing.