Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Default From Limit to NL, Feedback pleeeese...

Hello No Limit Players,

I'm a successful short ring limit player considering making the jump to no-limit. I'm about to make a pc upgrade and the nature of this upgrade hinges on whether I...
a) continue to grind a couple of big bets per hundo out of shorthanded 2/4 limit or...
b) make the jump to no limit and start from scratch....in which case I intend to purchase a notebook with the sole puprose of reading all of your forums, digest, stickies, and anything else of value to create a foundation of no-limit knowledge!

And so I ask ye, can a winning limit player expect to transorm his game and brain and pay for that notebook and then some? I'm somehow convinced that there are few books to steer my way and that the depth of knowledge in these forums are the best source of knowledge?

I'd love to hear from a few players who've recently made the jump...or anyone in the know...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: From Limit to NL, Feedback pleeeese...

There is no real answer to this.

You could say that any good poker player can play any poker game with some success.

On the other hand, I am sure that there are some players who are decent at limit never makes it into nolimit, as they simply cannot cope with losing a full stack in one game.

You have to look deep inside yourself and ask if you can cope with the following situation:

You are playing a group of players who seem to be making quite a few mistakes, but so far you yourself have not taken advantage of that. On the contrary you have lost your buy-in 4 times already. Do you care about buying in a fifth time or are you sure that you will win back what you have lost so far and more?

If you at all care about another buy-in, keep playing limit.

Why not save up playing limits until you can afford your notebook, then decide when to change if at all?

Winning in NL isn't harder, just much more variance.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 AM

what in the hell kind of notebook are you planning on buying? One made of rich Mahogony?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Just to correct JavaNut:

Its the short-term variance thats bigger in NL. The longterm variance is bigger in limit, because the winrates in limit are much lower.

other than that, fine post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what in the hell kind of notebook are you planning on buying? One made of rich Mahogony?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. The notebook is only useful if I plan to read the forums, post, and play no-limit. An upgraded desktop will do fine for continuing to play limit. Don't get me wrong, I've plenty to spend on such. I just don't want to waste money on something I may not use.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 AM

I,
I'm just making that path myself.

I've been a winning FL/SH player, with about 3.5BB/100, playing on .25/.50 limits.
I decided to jump to NL/SH mainly because it is becoming more difficult to find good FL/SH tables, I actually just play on one site because it is the only one such tables.
On the other end you can find a lot of "good" NL tables (micro stakes) on almost every site.
Although I keep 1 to 3 tables of FL open (just don't want to shutdown my main BR income before being sure of having +EV at NL), I just started (this month)playing 2-4 tables of NL at the same time.
At the beginning it was difficult to make the switch between FL and NL, up until now I make some mistakes cause of my FL automatism, specially calling just one more bet to showdown when I (think) I have the best hand....the problem is that in NL that last bet could mean your stack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just like,never fold AA on the river cause of one more bet in FL, even with a flush draw on the table....well in NL you better think better if folding is not the best choice.
The main thinks you should get in your head is:
-> tighter than FL/SH (18% to 21% VPIP should be ok)
-> TAG....always TAG....I almost never call pre-flop, I raise about 90% of the time I enter the pot, normally with 4 to 8 bigbets.
-> Continuation bet is your best friend.
-> You almost never have the nuts when CALLING a all-in.

Here is some stuff that helped me:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=