Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Book recommendation

Well, its a recommendation of the first 150 pages.

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Micheal Pollan. Its a fairly well written and well researched book which (so far) is about the American diet. I'm recommending it here though because it also looks like a great case study for the unintended (and unpredicted) consequences of government programs, specifically corn subsidies. The author makes the case that the farm subsidies programs started during the great depression are responsible for a great deal of health and environmental problems in the US.

Just thought i'd pass it along, anyone else who has read it (or others by the same author) feel free to comment.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Book recommendation

Another government succes story? How much of those do we have now?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 PM

The Botany of Desire is excellent. It's about how certain plants have evolved to meet human needs, and in so doing, have become fantastically successful. Very highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

I haven't read OD, but I've seen summaries of its arguments, and I'm skeptical. Farm subsidies are easy to demonize because they're so [censored] stupid, but I really doubt that they contribute significantly to the sort of food that's grown in this country.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 PM

One of my friends just moved into my place and brought this book along with him. I guess it's a sign.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM

I just completed this book, and it is a well written, good read.

I think you only need to read the first two sections of this book, industrial food production and industrial organic food production. The other sections on local organic/sustainable farming and foraging are nice in theory, but are not viable for any metropolitan area. I gave him credit as in the book he even says that both of these are probably not realistic in today's society.

He gives solid arguments on subsidies and how these transformed into an uber-reliance on corn.