Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Middle Set Sanity Check

$1-2NL Live. I am in late position with $300 behind and pick up QQ. Old guy with slightly larger stack than me in EP raises to $10. He has been at table for about 40 minutes. He has won a few small pots, nothing spectacular. I don't really have a read on how good a player he is.

2 players call the $10. Guy on my immediate right (young kid who sat down about 5 minutes before this hand, with a little under $200 behind), makes it $40 to go.

I look down at QQ. I call the $40. Probably a good case for raising here at a donkish $1-2 table, but I am slightly worried about the initial raiser. I would like to see a dry flop of unders or else hit a set. Initial raiser calls the additional $30, other 2 callers fold. So three to the flop with about $150 in the pot.

Flop is K-Q-7 with 2 diamonds. I have no diamond. Initial old guy raiser checks. Kid on my right fiddles with his chips for about a minute, then pushes all-in for about $140. I have about $260 behind me at this point.

What's my move here?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Middle Set Sanity Check

Shove. If someone has KK that sucks.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:21 PM

yEA shove dat
Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is like a level, you have to be real dumb to fold here, my guess is the only reason u posted this is cuz u pushed and he showed KK.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM

ya in a lot of threads you can assume that the worst possible outcome occurs which sometimes taints peoples thinking.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to get it into your head that you're not folding this EVER. In fact, do a little victory dance around the table before you call.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Sorry if this post seems stupid. Of course I pushed and of course initial raiser instacalled and showed a set of Kings. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is any other way to play the hand or if it is foregone conclusion that you lose your money with set of queens there.

Is it possible to just call the $140 push by kid, who I knew I had smoked, to see what initial raiser does and then consider salvaging your last $130 or so if initial raiser then pushes? Or would this just be dumb dumb dumb?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this post seems stupid. Of course I pushed and of course initial raiser instacalled and showed a set of Kings. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is any other way to play the hand or if it is foregone conclusion that you lose your money with set of queens there.

Is it possible to just call the $140 push by kid, who I knew I had smoked, to see what initial raiser does and then consider salvaging your last $130 or so if initial raiser then pushes? Or would this just be dumb dumb dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you lose your stack here 100% of the time unless you read souls and know that he has KK. There are 3 combinations of hands that have you crushed and a billion that you are ass raping. Just calling on the flop for more than half your stack doesn't accomplish anything imo. What're you looking for on the turn besides quads?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM

fold preflop
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you lose your stack here 100% of the time unless you read souls and know that he has KK. There are 3 combinations of hands that have you crushed and a billion that you are ass raping. Just calling on the flop for more than half your stack doesn't accomplish anything imo. What're you looking for on the turn besides quads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be calling on the turn looking to improve, but calling to see what initial raiser does with the $140 allin bet and call in front of him. With 2 diamonds out there, I imagine he pushes with top set and then I decide whether to call off the last $130. Or else he calls and pushes turn and I'm in same boat I guess.