Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Default AK pre-flop and river - total puss?

hey guys, I'm new to SSNL, although not totally new to poker. I've 'played' NL at the weekly home game for a few years, and after reading HOH 1+2, GSIH, SSH and struggling thru TOP (I'm going to read the digest on TOP from the SSNL digest and try to better my understanding) figured I'd give limit online a try. hated it, and decided that I'd like to give it another try at NL, which I really like. anyways, on w/the hand...

UTG+1 is 70/49/0.9 after 35 hands. his PFR range is any two suited, any single paint, any two broadway, any position.
MP1 and BB are unknowns, have been at the table for less than one orbit.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($2.58)
UTG+1 ($5.64)
MP1 ($4.96)
MP2 ($4.08)
CO ($3.91)
Hero ($4.67)
SB ($4.92)
BB ($4.13)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.02.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.2</font>, MP1 calls $0.20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.82) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $0.11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.75, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.64.

Turn: ($3.07) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, BB calls $1.50, MP1 folds.

River: ($6.07) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.04</font>, Hero calls $0.04.

Final Pot: $6.15

my questions are:
1. 3-bet pre-flop?
2. raise river? BB's min-donk on the river kinda put me off, was thinking he may have hit the flush and figured that I'd do his raising for him, as I'd been aggro post-flop.
anything else that you guys wanna critique is also very appreciated. thanks, and I hope I can be a positive addition to the board. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Re: AK pre-flop and river - total puss?

Not a total puss, but a tad bit on the puss side.

Re-raising preflop with AK is an option, but it is by no means mandatory. Your flop raise looks good, but your turn bet is a little small. Bet pot on the turn.

And you were definitely right to just call on the river. Donk-bets are annoying, but you just have one pair on a 3-flush board. Just call.

Edit...I just realized how often the villian raises preflop. That would make me lean toward re-raising preflop since AK is much better than his range of raising hands.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 AM

Darth Poker-

Even though your sample size is very small (35 hands) villain has been very aggressive since you started observing him. A re-raise pre-flop is a must. You must raise more on the flop, at least $1. Turn I overbet push all-in. I didn't know they had .01-.02 blind games at PP. Nano no-limit everywhere!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know they had .02 - .04 blind games at PP. Nano no-limit everywhere!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, not that it really matters. yeah, in the beginner's section - where little yellow bus riders like me can practice not embarassing ourselves. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2006, 02:12 PM

I would say to re-raise preflop as well as your on the button (as a side note I would more often than not ~80% just be completing from the SB with the same action). You've got the position and are well ahead of his range so now is a good time to start to build the pot.

Flop is Ok but personally I would bet a bit more on this fairly co-ordinated board.

Definitely pot the turn - make those draws pay to see the river.

I would agree with just calling the river - and make a note of whether he's gotthe goods or not. He's done this once so is likely to do it again.